DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a loaded laramie or limited and see that the limited has a different set of headlights. Can anyone who has experienced both of these types of headlights at night provide an opinion to which was better? I do a lot of early morning and country road driving so the output is important to me. I'm aware that the limited (and longhorn) headlights are able to move and that the lower fog lights assist on when turning.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I do not have the higher trim, so cannot compare. But going from a 2015 ED with Halogen to LED is literally day and night.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'll echo what turkey said, being that I have a big horn with the "midgrade" LED headlights. I have found the headlights to be quite good and have never had found myself wishing they were brighter. My guess would be that light output is pretty similar between the two, the projectors just having a sharper cut off. Swiveling headlights are nice ( my wifes volvo has them) but not necessary given how much light is output by the LED midgrade headlights.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm considering a loaded laramie or limited and see that the limited has a different set of headlights. Can anyone who has experienced both of these types of headlights at night provide an opinion to which was better? I do a lot of early morning and country road driving so the output is important to me. I'm aware that the limited (and longhorn) headlights are able to move and that the lower fog lights assist on when turning.
I have the top level LEDs.
Best headlights I've ever had. Much brighter (and very white light) than my prior vehicles. They slightly turn on curves (up to 15 deg I think), and I love the turn assist feature also. Lights up a good chunk of the area when doing so. Reminds me of old-school Lincolns & Caddies. Very cool ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the mid-range LEDs. Best lights I've ever had.

Previous lights were on a 2015 BMW M235i. The BMW had motorized lights that I miss, but the RAM does a good job simulating them when it makes the corner lights brighter when you turn the wheel. I think it just turns on the corresponding fog light to do this.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a longhorn, which has the same lights as the Limited. Like Neurobit stated, the lights do turn a little as you're going into curves, etc. And as Anthony stated, the fog lights act as cornering lights. Your fog lights have to be off, then the one on the side of your turn will shine. That's cool to have on roads with no street lights or a dark neighborhood.

Those cornering/turning features aren't a must have for me, but they were cool to have in my BMW 750. Difference was, the cornering function was in the actual headlight. But I had to have the top level LEDs for the brightness. These are actually better than my BMW was. They are just something I'm used to having.. But if you opt for the Bighorn, I think you'll be fine with the lights. I can't see you being upset with their function.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all, my truck has the LED headlights and they are pretty good at night compared to my previous ram that only had halogen lights. I just read a post describing how the fog light comes on when you turn, I was noticing that lights were going on and off when I would turn and I thought I had some sort of electrical problem as I had no idea about the option. Thanks for the info !

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi all, my truck has the LED headlights and they are pretty good at night compared to my previous ram that only had halogen lights. I just read a post describing how the fog light comes on when you turn, I was noticing that lights were going on and off when I would turn and I thought I had some sort of electrical problem as I had no idea about the option. Thanks for the info !
Pretty neat, right?

Cheers,
Neurobit

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
If I were buying a 2019 I'd probably opt for the mid level LEDs; I've heard the LED lights are pretty awesome but the swivel feature isn't something I'd want to deal with.

I am curious how the halogens on the 5th gen compare to the halogens on the 4th gens

·
Registered
294 Posts
Lights are pretty dang good, just a whole different driving experience...Dunno on the Gen 5 halogens but if they using same 12V 55W bulbs, IMHO, doubt much difference

·
Registered
294 Posts
Lights are pretty dang good, just a whole different driving experience...Dunno on the Gen 5 halogens but if they using same 12V 55W bulbs, IMHO, doubt much difference
I went outside last night, and wahoo, even though midgrade trim, the "fog" lights come on when U turn the steering wheel I guess to aid in vison for turn, LOL

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Just curious what the different reflectors may do or if they maybe put 9011s in with a glare cap built into the housing like the mod some of us have done to our 4th gens.

I didn't realize the fogs would come on to assist with turns. I do that manually on my truck in poorly lit areas as the fogs throw more light to the side. Doing it automatically is a cool idea!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just curious what the different reflectors may do or if they maybe put 9011s in with a glare cap built into the housing like the mod some of us have done to our 4th gens.

I didn't realize the fogs would come on to assist with turns. I do that manually on my truck in poorly lit areas as the fogs throw more light to the side. Doing it automatically is a cool idea!

I did not realize the lights were doing that, figured a Higher trim till I went and looked for it specifically... Do not know ref the other bulbs, just no way to ref since MY 15 had quad halogens, and no mods, no way to know or have ne reference...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts