DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2019 Laramie with the 3.2 rear and the 5.7 hemi pared with the new 8 speed trans. Have a 20 foot Jayco white hawk 2015 travel trailor that weighs between 5-6 thousand lbs. does anyone know if my truck will tow it ok? Thanks for any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Keep in mind that you should consider the loaded weight of the trailer, including LP tanks and battery, as well as the stuff carried in the trailer. Then, add the weight of the stuff and people carried in the truck. That will give you a more accurate picture.

When I bought my travel trailer, the tech explained it well... he said that anything will (in most cases) pull anything, but doing it safely is another story. If you have to pull an abrupt (i.e., collision avoidance) maneuver, things can go downhill quickly if the tow vehicle is not up to the task.

Whatever you do, use a good weight distributing hitch (Blue Ox or Equal-i-zer) are priced a bit higher, but are excellent, while being quick and simple to use.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input Summit1, I do have a weight distribution set up w/ friction sway . I used to tow the camper with my 2010 ram 1500 that had the 3.9 rear w/ hemi and a 5 speed trans, I traded it in for the 2019 . The 2010 had no problem towing it but the new truck with the 3.2 rear is not rated to tow as much but according to the dealer it should have no problem because of the 8 speed trans. Guess I won't really know till I hook up to it but have to wait till I reach break in miles. Thanks again

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had an ED, now a Hemi. You can tow ok. Remember any extra weight, use the WDH and get front tire and tongue weight set up well. You will be fine, IMHO. Now, as far as the gas tank, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
5-6k dry or wet?

A 3.21 Hemi is good for around 8600 so it shouldn't be an issue

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys, thunderhourse, the trailor weighs 4700 dry and I figure after adding my camping equipment I'm probably around 6000 or so. Turkeybird56, I'm definitely worried about the gas tank! I got about 8-9 miles per gallon with my 2010 dodge but at least I had a 32 gallon tank on that truck. This new truck only has a 28 gallon tank. Supposedly this new truck with 8 speed trans will get better mpg , camping next weekend, guess I'll find out.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I have 3.21 gears in my truck and I tow a trailer that's about 5800# dry and 31' tongue to tail. It tows good, my GCWR on my last trip was 13,200#.

I towed a 26' trailer similar to your current size and weight from New Hampshire to Arizona and back with no problems, even over Wolf Creek Pass (10,856' elevation with 6.8% grade). I wouldn't hesitate to do it again with that setup.

I currently have 34" tires and a longer, heavier camper and it still tows good. The new 8 speed (8HP75) is better and has a lower first than the 8HP70, so you'll have no problems with your setup. Enjoy it and share some photos.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
That sounds just right for your truck.

Campers have a pretty big profile so it will be sort of like towing a big wind sock; I wouldn't expect more than 11 MPG-that's the nature of the beast

·
Registered
277 Posts
Your Ram will handle the TT. Be prepared for transmission downshifting unless your on flat roads and no wind.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Your Ram will handle the TT. Be prepared for transmission downshifting unless your on flat roads and no wind.
Typically while towing you should lock the transmission out of the overdrive gears, so use the manual selector to set your transmission to 6th gear, turn tow/haul on, and you should see less shifting. The truck shouldn't really try to get into 7th gear that often, but it'll keep it from trying.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah there's nothing wrong with leaving it in 6th and letting it run at 2500 RPMs for several hours. Use the ERS and keep that transmission cool

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah there's nothing wrong with leaving it in 6th and letting it run at 2500 RPMs for several hours. Use the ERS and keep that transmission cool
Agree. At 2500 RPM, it will still down shift. Need to be closer to 3k for it not to down shift continuously. My boat weighs around 4,500 lbs. Pull it weekly. I should know. At 3000 RPM, mileage is terrible.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
What i noticed with mine, it hauls much much better and with less shifting if you dont forget to press the tow/haul button, which resets after every engine turn off/on :)

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Interesting, when I moved out here I was able to pull a 4400 lb box trailer up most grades at 2100 RPM or so, the 7%s needed around 2500.

I guess some boats have pretty terrible aerodynamics

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hay guys, very much appreciate all the input, I will advise how it did when I get back next week. I'll also post a pic or two.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so the 3.2 gear ratio pulled camper ok, the 3.9 in my old truck seamed to have an easier time doing it though. I did put on the tow haul button and locked out 8th gear so that kinda helped keep me in the power band . Thanks for all the input !

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts