DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 19 ram 1500 and got hit hard from behind today wile i was stopped at a red light. I saw him looking down in the rear view and never hit the brakes... looking to see if any one has had experience with hits ike this on the gen 5... hitch is completely destroyed bent all the way through spare tire into the rim. It's factory hitch so on the frame do you think the frame is OK? What else should I make sure is checked?
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire

Automotive parking light Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,927 Posts
This happened to me almost 3 years ago. You can view the damages to my 2017 Ram here. Tred's TOTALED 2017 Ram SLT BigHorn

A kid hit me at (approx.) 70 mph, on the freeway. The traffic ahead of me had stopped, I came to a stop, reached down to adjust the heater controls, and WHAM!

I think he tried at the last minute, to veer off to the left, but still nailed me.

My insurance company had me take it to one of their "recommended" shops for a repair estimate. As you can see, the damages were quite extensive! Aside from the obvious, my hitch & frame were bent, rear axle was shoved 6+ inches forward on the left side, cracking the transfer case & transmission. Also buckled the cab on the left rear! Once my repairs were over 60% of truck's value, my insurance company totaled it. Also, my insurance company they would "guarantee" the repairs & parts for as long as I owned the truck.

I'm not sure at what speed you were hit, but you'll want to take it to a reputable shop for a thorough estimate. Surely your insurance company can suggest one of their own shops. (I'm not sure if they'll warranty the repairs like my insurance company did?) There were a lot of damages that are not seen with the eyes. Also, another suggestion, retain your own legal counsel, now! If you have any further questions, feel free to PM (Conversation) me.

Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Attorneys don't typically represent their clients for property damage claims (no money in it for them). So unless you're legitimately injured with no immediate medical coverage resources to seek treatment, an attorney retention would likely be of little value.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can take the truck to a shop of your choice regardless of an insurance company's request to use one from their 'preferred shop list' - they would send an appraiser out to the shop and reach an agreed price with the shop for all required repairs. So you can use an independent or a dealer shop as your own preference dictates. Works this way whether you go through your own insurance or the at-fault party's carrier. If you're pursuing the at-fault carrier directly for your claim, also consider making a diminished value claim since your truck is still within the age-range for such exposure and will definitely suffer market value loss even if repaired perfectly back to prior condition.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,927 Posts
Attorneys don't typically represent their clients for property damage claims (no money in it for them). So unless you're legitimately injured with no immediate medical coverage resources to seek treatment, an attorney retention would likely be of little value.
Yes, that is true. I was injured in my wreck & had to go the "personal injury" route. I found that I almost waited too long. Hopefully you had the GAP insurance coverage, too.

If you're not injured, you most likely will NOT need legal representation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts