DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my Ram Limited 5.7 its pass 1,000 miles and i plan to switch to Full synthetic Motor Oil
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20 (as brand and weight factory suggested)
and Oil Filter Wix 57060XP (recommended for synthetic Oil)
but the Mechanic at the shop that make me the oil change advise me not to change and wait until the truck have 3,000 miles to break in properly the engine with factory oil before first change any advice??

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just picked up a Laramie and my dealer put an oil change sticker on it for 10,000 miles. I am not going to wait that long but changing at 3000 should be just fine. New engines are much different than the old days. Changing full synthetic oil at 3000 miles is a waste of money.

·
Registered
7 Posts
engines, oil, and filters are so much more advanced today. I would be willing bet anyone they could leave that original oil in the truck for 30K miles without ever changing (just add oil when needed) and never have an issue...

·
Registered
247 Posts
No way I'm changing at 1,000. I'll be doing 5,000 like clockwork from here on out. I know some ppl still do 3,000...........but I can assure you that most drivers are sticking with the "computer" in their vehicles and going with the full 7-10K miles. My wife's Mercedes is like every 10,000 and that's what we do with no issues whatsoever in any German car we've owned. It's my opinion (which isn't worth much) that ppl who still change every 3,000 when their car calls for 7-10K .......are those who are just sticking to what they've been doing all of their lives.

And I agree with Cluck!!!! He's not saying to do that............but I agree

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just picked up a Laramie and my dealer put an oil change sticker on it for 10,000 miles. I am not going to wait that long but changing at 3000 should be just fine. New engines are much different than the old days. Changing full synthetic oil at 3000 miles is a waste of money.
The Dealer told me the Motor Oil originally come from factory its not Synthetic thats why i want to switch the oil at my truck and after every 5,000 miles

·
Registered
230 Posts
As a medical professional I don't expect any engineer to tell me how do my job. Consequently, I abide by the owner's manual as they are the experts.

btw...new Ram's are built with a synthetic blend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They usually advise you to wait to switch to synthetic untill after the break in period to allow for the rings to fully seat into the cylinder walls. The idea is synthetic lubricates too well causing the rings to potentially not seat as well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Your RAM has a system that monitors the oil and gives you a count down of when to change it. The system is pretty advanced and considers many factors such as (I believe) average engine temperature, air quality etc. in its calculations of when to change the oil. I believe in letting that computer tell me because it knows way more than just how many miles I have driven. That computer also thinks you are running oil that meets the manufacturers standards so switching to some type of premium full synthetic just makes the computer wrong and you are changing your oil more than is needed, but hey, it's your money, you decide how you want to spend it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Your RAM has a system that monitors the oil and gives you a count down of when to change it. The system is pretty advanced and considers many factors such as (I believe) average engine temperature, air quality etc. in its calculations of when to change the oil. I believe in letting that computer tell me because it knows way more than just how many miles I have driven. That computer also thinks you are running oil that meets the manufacturers standards so switching to some type of premium full synthetic just makes the computer wrong and you are changing your oil more than is needed, but hey, it's your money, you decide how you want to spend it.
the 2019 Ram Owners manual:

"The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a
high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes
should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions
under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended
viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Fluids And
Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications”.

They dont specified its Mineral or Synthetic Blended plus

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 5.7L Engine
Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material
Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent
is recommended for all operating temperatures. This
engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle
fuel economy.

Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended
oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended
maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are
followed.
Synthetic engine oils which do not have both the engine oil
certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade
number should not be used.

Pennzoil Ultra Patinum 5W-20 & MS-6395 i plan to use meets Factory spec why the oil monitor should fail?

·
Registered
247 Posts
the 2019 Ram Owners manual:

"The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a
high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes
should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions
under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended
viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Fluids And
Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications”.

They dont specified its Mineral or Synthetic Blended plus

Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 5.7L Engine
Mopar SAE 5W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material
Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent
is recommended for all operating temperatures. This
engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle
fuel economy.

Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended
oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended
maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are
followed.
Synthetic engine oils which do not have both the engine oil
certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity grade
number should not be used.

Pennzoil Ultra Patinum 5W-20 & MS-6395 i plan to use meets Factory spec why the oil monitor should fail?

Follow your owner's manual.....as I see you've just referenced. You want to see real oil debates, come over to the Harley Davidson form. It gets real interesting where ppl break it down like chemists :)

Your oil monitor will not fail or be thrown off with synthetic oil that meets or exceeds Factory specs. I'll be changing every 5K as mentioned earlier just because it gives me peace of mind, even though it's overkill.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Follow your owner's manual.....as I see you've just referenced. You want to see real oil debates, come over to the Harley Davidson form. It gets real interesting where ppl break it down like chemists :)

Your oil monitor will not fail or be thrown off with synthetic oil that meets or exceeds Factory specs. I'll be changing every 5K as mentioned earlier just because it gives me peace of mind, even though it's overkill.
oh Yeah Harley Davidson Bikes oil debate is forever distributing HD for 26 years you imagine what i deal with this matter btw back to the Ram agree with you thanks

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I change my oil at 6000 miles with full synthetic every time-same with the factory fill.

I worked with a girl who got to 24,000 miles without changing her oil-then her engine seized

no thanks

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
A lot of people like to do the first change early just to get all the break in wear particles and machining swarf out of the engine. It's highly debatable if this is really necessary anymore but it can't hurt and makes people feel better. There is very little break in on modern engines, certainly not like there used to be. The avoidance of synthetics early in the engine life is another old practice that's no longer necessary. Lots of vehicles come factory fill with synthetic these days.

I like to run full synthetic in all my vehicles. I go by the oil life monitor in the vehicles that have them and change when they say to change. The dealers and the oil change shops still put 3000 mile reminder stickers on the windshield because they want your money. I peel them off and throw them away.

·
Registered
998 Posts
btw...new Ram's are built with a synthetic blend.
Not unless that's a new thing for the '19s, which it may be, but the previous generation came with conventional oil from the factory.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just turned 1k miles on mine today. Gonna change between now and 2k with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a Royal Purple Extended Life Filter. No big thing other than the philosophy of synthetic tending to run a bit better according to my own mindset and limited research. Changes after around every 5-6k miles.

The Hemi's have something going on with lifters but to what degree and percentage of units, only MOPAR has that better clue. If the oil can maybe make a difference, putting in the best I can muster per known info seems the best path for the motor's longevity to me. No more, no less.

My own limited experience with a couple of years with RAMs 5.7L V8 so far has the synthetic helping quiet down the pesky start-up tick. My current Hemi has no tick...knocking loudly on wood as I type that! :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not unless that's a new thing for the '19s, which it may be, but the previous generation came with conventional oil from the factory.
My 17 came with a blend, so I assumed they all did.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I guess i'm screwed. I changed mine at 900 miles.

They usually advise you to wait to switch to synthetic untill after the break in period to allow for the rings to fully seat into the cylinder walls. The idea is synthetic lubricates too well causing the rings to potentially not seat as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
A lot of people like to do the first change early just to get all the break in wear particles and machining swarf out of the engine. It's highly debatable if this is really necessary anymore but it can't hurt and makes people feel better. There is very little break in on modern engines, certainly not like there used to be. The avoidance of synthetics early in the engine life is another old practice that's no longer necessary. Lots of vehicles come factory fill with synthetic these days.

I like to run full synthetic in all my vehicles. I go by the oil life monitor in the vehicles that have them and change when they say to change. The dealers and the oil change shops still put 3000 mile reminder stickers on the windshield because they want your money. I peel them off and throw them away.
Today my truck is 1,200 miles and i checking oil and its perfect on level also i notice the color of the oil is very transparent means its more like conventional motor oil or maybe blended but normally synthetic oil get darker quickly im gona wait another 1,000 miles and check again before change.

also found this offer for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20 also additional rebate $2 per quarter hope helps (copy & paste link if don't works)

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/156381/00157

i agree with today technology break in engine its really fast and change oil early never hurt the truck its all about how much you care!!!!

also plan install oil catch can any imputs??

·
Registered
665 Posts
Walmart usually has the 5 qt jug of Pennzoil Ultra for $24.97, and the on-going Pennzoil rebate of $10 per jug.

Today my truck is 1,200 miles and i checking oil and its perfect on level also i notice the color of the oil is very transparent means its more like conventional motor oil or maybe blended but normally synthetic oil get darker quickly im gona wait another 1,000 miles and check again before change.

also found this offer for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20 also additional rebate $2 per quarter hope helps (copy & paste link if don't works)

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/156381/00157

i agree with today technology break in engine its really fast and change oil early never hurt the truck its all about how much you care!!!!

also plan install oil catch can any imputs??

1 - 20 of 43 Posts