DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2019 RAM Laramie Longhorn, shortbed. It is loaded but missing 2 features the 2018 Jeep GC Summit I traded in had as standard. 1.) There is no way to program the exterior electric folding mirrors to fold-up automatically when the vehicle is turned off in Park (or any other mode). 2.) The gas filler door does not lock and according to the dealer there is no option for one. The parts guy says the 2018 had an aftermarket option but now there isn't one for the 2019. This is really important when gas prices are so high.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I thought most new vehicles used screens in the filler neck to prevent people from stealing your gas. Anyone willing to do that doesn't care about your truck, so if you have a locking cap they're probably more likely to drill out your tank, which is a much bigger problem.

The 4th gen trucks don't have auto folding mirrors; TBH until I moved here a couple months ago and had a garage I could fit my truck in I never used the power fold. Now I just do to pull into the garage as far over as I can, but I need them to do it before I go into park while I am still in drive and pulling in. I am not sure how useful it is for them to fold when you're already stopped

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am not sure how useful it is for them to fold when you're already stopped
It's useful to know at a quick glance that the vehicle is locked. I had mine set to fold when the doors were locked and the car was off. Came in really handy. I obviously didn't think it was a deal breaker since I bought a 1500 anyway but definitely something that would have been nice to have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to all who responded. I also had feedback from FCA and they could only say that they were not involved in the design decision loop since it is held "secret". kind of bizarre since they are intouch with the customer base who could have voiced their opinion. This still does not address the theft issue since anyone can open the fuel door and insert a siphon into the filler neck and either steal fuel or insert foreign objects into the fuel tank. This was a "miss" in my opinion and should be corrected. Auto folding mirrors should be a simple software update as well.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
It's useful to know at a quick glance that the vehicle is locked. I had mine set to fold when the doors were locked and the car was off. Came in really handy. I obviously didn't think it was a deal breaker since I bought a 1500 anyway but definitely something that would have been nice to have.
I suppose; I usually just hit the lock button if I want to be sure

Thanks to all who responded. I also had feedback from FCA and they could only say that they were not involved in the design decision loop since it is held "secret". kind of bizarre since they are intouch with the customer base who could have voiced their opinion. This still does not address the theft issue since anyone can open the fuel door and insert a siphon into the filler neck and either steal fuel or insert foreign objects into the fuel tank. This was a "miss" in my opinion and should be corrected. Auto folding mirrors should be a simple software update as well.
It would most likely require a new control module that talks with the Uconnect system so the control could be activated through the radio.

There's an anti siphon screen in the neck. If someone really wants your fuel its much easier and quicker for them to drill out your tank, which is exposed under the truck

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Your Summit was a top trim luxo SUV. The Ram is still a truck with some luxury features. I would think 35 gallons of unleaded plus would be a target in some sketchy neighborhoods.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Mirror issue...merit-less complaint.

If someone wants your gas bad enough, a locking gas door isn`t going to stop them. Personally, i dont care for locking gas caps or locking gas doors... they`ll just punch a hole in the tank, its faster, and the thief is under your truck out of site. Nothing worse than having a hole punched in your tank...very costly repair...new tanks aren`t cheap. A stolen tank of gas siphoned out, is far cheaper to replace than a gas tank with a hole in it.

This was my fix:
Attach a motion sensor to your truck (driveway motion sensor - lowes $39). I glued a magnet to the back of the sensor, stick it on the truck panel, remove it when you drive the truck. When the motion sensor alerts you, walk outside with a baseball bat and a pitbull. Works for me, havent had a drop of gas stolen since.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's useful when you park in a parking lot, etc. It's just nice that you can set it up to it automatically like the OP said (like in my Jeep GC).
Yes, this is why I questioned the option. My 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn is the top of the line, fully loaded and has an MSRP of $63,325.00.

Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Mirror issue...merit-less complaint.

If someone wants your gas bad enough, a locking gas door isn`t going to stop them. Personally, i dont care for locking gas caps or locking gas doors... they`ll just punch a hole in the tank, its faster, and the thief is under your truck out of site. Nothing worse than having a hole punched in your tank...very costly repair...new tanks aren`t cheap. A stolen tank of gas siphoned out, is far cheaper to replace than a gas tank with a hole in it.

This was my fix:
Attach a motion sensor to your truck (driveway motion sensor - lowes $39). I glued a magnet to the back of the sensor, stick it on the truck panel, remove it when you drive the truck. When the motion sensor alerts you, walk outside with a baseball bat and a pitbull. Works for me, havent had a drop of gas stolen since.
That’s the same reason most the guys with convertible classic Mustangs don’t lock them. They’d rather people steal their stuff than slash their top.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
That’s the same reason most the guys with convertible classic Mustangs don’t lock them. They’d rather people steal their stuff than slash their top.
Exactly my friend... thats why i never leave anything in my vehicles worth stealing. But people do become complacent.
Whats my signature say down below...??? (lol)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts