DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so now the new RAM has been out for a while, I've started seeing them out more and more. I've yet to see a Sport package, but I have to say I have not liked the ones I have seen. The pictures people post make them look awesome, but Ii haven't fallen in love with it in person. The interior is FINE, especially the Longhorn, but the front is very busy.
Just my thoughts, but there again I haven't seen the Sport or blacked out models yet.

Any one else?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree...was sitting behind one and it looks familiar but soo off, and sure enough it was a new RAM. Not a fan of the rear either, kinda busy with the new lights and steps in the bumper...but like most new rides I am sure it will grow on me?

Time will tell...and like you said haven't seen a non-chrome trim so that may change my mind...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Saw one on I75 near Detroit last week. Rear end looked different, but OK. Front end looked just as terrible as the one in the local dealer's showroom.

-K

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a 3rd Gen when the 4th Gens came out and felt the same way. Now I'm on my 3rd 4th gen so I guess I got used to them.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
i only saw maybe 3 on the road here in nyc my dealer in jersey had about 5 on the lot and was still loaded with 2018 rams

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I followed a black one through the gate on base a couple times, and there's a Delmonico one I've seen around here too. A bit disappointing that the only colors seem to be Delmonico Red and a pallette of grayscale.

The back is fine, the sides are fine; those are evolutionary changes where they made the sweeping arches and coke bottle curves more boxy. That front though needs work-though it looks a lot better on the Sports.

As I've said before, the 4th gens will go down as a classic style like the 2nd gens did or like the 70s squarebody Chevies. I'll be hanging on to mine

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got my oil changed the other day and there were a few Sport models on the lot. They have Sport editions for every package now which I was not aware they were doing. There was a Bighorn Sport, Laramie Sport and the traditional Ram Sport. The Sport package on the BH and Laramie just gets you painted bumpers, mirrors,etc. The traditional Ram Sport just adds a different hood. The hood has a large intake piece in the center and 2 more near the front on each side. Not a fan of that hood but I did like the Flame Red Bighorn Sport.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have seen 5 on the road, 4 Limiteds, and a Big Horn Black. On the dealer lots I have seen all of the grill styles. The Longhorn grill is the ugliest and most GMC looking of all of them. Pull the RAM from the front and most would not know what brand it is. The body color bumpers and grills mask some of weird stuff on the front, but it is still not very attractive. A couple things totally ruin the front. The brow is ugly and dominates the front. The fit between it and the hood is horrible. There is a big gap and the hood looks like it is popped open, as it sits above the brow. On the Silverado, where I'm sure they pulled this idea from, the brow fits flush with the hood and the body gap is the same as all of the other fenders and doors. The squinting headlights on some of the models don't help the look either. The side view of the front fender is totally Tundra like and looks unfinished. It is just a squared off fender. Also, from the side there is very little evidence of the dropped fender look.

It isn't so much the lack of the cross hair, although that was instant recognition without a badge or name plate. It is the mess they made of the finished product. I don't care how nice the interior is, if I can't stand looking at the truck, every time I would walk up to it.
I think the Limited are out there because these are the buyers that have to have the latest thing out.

Ram isn't breaking out the sales numbers between the 18 and 19 models. I suspect the '18's are the dominant sales driver. Ram sales were only up 1% last month. That is normal month to month fluctuation. A new model should spike sales. I think a lot of current owners are totally turned off by the new unattractive styling. I am one of them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was at the dealership saturday getting the cruise control recall taken care of, so I strolled through the lot while I waited. They had all the new models mixed in with all 18 models. The older models really stand out.

Today when going to lunch I saw a Hydro Blue Sport. Damn, that's a good looking truck.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
Yea, you can only get the Sport trim level in Canada now. I was surprised about that, the Sport seemed to be one of the best selling trim levels. Now you can get it (sorta) as an appearance package or something? I guess Ford went the same way with their FX4 trim level.

But otherwise, I do see quite a few 2019's around where I live now. People are certainly buying them up here, mostly Big Horn's.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Saw one at the Lowes lumber yard (not being loaded with lumber like my ugly-old '16 Rebel). Looks like something Matthew Mcconaughey would drive to the sushi bar.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Saw one at the Lowes lumber yard (not being loaded with lumber like my ugly-old '16 Rebel). Looks like something Matthew Mcconaughey would drive to the sushi bar.
Those creepy commercials he is in, along with the fact that Lincoln hasn't made an attractive vehicle since 1958, make me wonder why Mercury got the chopping block instead of Lincoln.

And LMAO...your OLD 2016??

·
Registered
771 Posts
Those creepy commercials he is in, along with the fact that Lincoln hasn't made an attractive vehicle since 1958, make me wonder why Mercury got the chopping block instead of Lincoln.

And LMAO...your OLD 2016??
Yeah. Everybody is all "ga-ga" over the flashy looks of the 2019. To me, it's just too pretty. Not quite Lincoln Mark LT flashy, but definitely looks like the high-end Sierra or Silverado...with all the chroms, LED lights and crap like that.

My "old Rebel" has the ugly, down-turned whale-face grille, no chrome to be found, lots of flat-black. It's a truck Larry the Cable Guy would use to pick-up 4 fat-chicks on his way to the fishin' hole. Not something Matthew Mcconaughey would drive to an infinity-pool so he can pensively contemplate his space in the universe before he falls, fully clothed, backwards into the water.

·
Registered
814 Posts
The way Ford pimped out the Lincoln name after the demise of the Town Car was criminal. They ended up putting the "Town Car" name on a trim of the MKT that looked like a hearse on its best day.

I do think their 1992-1997 Town Car was the last of the real American cars design wise. The design had not yet capitulated fully to aerodynamic necessity to resemble a blob in order to get that extra .5 mpg for CAFE. Today the 300 is nice but its tail is unceremoniously chopped off for European dimension regulations.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The way Ford pimped out the Lincoln name after the demise of the Town Car was criminal. They ended up putting the "Town Car" name on a trim of the MKT that looked like a hearse on its best day.

I do think their 1992-1997 Town Car was the last of the real American cars design wise. The design had not yet capitulated fully to aerodynamic necessity to resemble a blob in order to get that extra .5 mpg for CAFE. Today the 300 is nice but its tail is unceremoniously chopped off for European dimension regulations.

Looks pretty ugly if you ask me.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah. Everybody is all "ga-ga" over the flashy looks of the 2019. To me, it's just too pretty. Not quite Lincoln Mark LT flashy, but definitely looks like the high-end Sierra or Silverado...with all the chroms, LED lights and crap like that.

My "old Rebel" has the ugly, down-turned whale-face grille, no chrome to be found, lots of flat-black. It's a truck Larry the Cable Guy would use to pick-up 4 fat-chicks on his way to the fishin' hole. Not something Matthew Mcconaughey would drive to an infinity-pool so he can pensively contemplate his space in the universe before he falls, fully clothed, backwards into the water.
ROFL so if your 16 is old then what is my 13?:gy:

Maybe its because I grew up in the '90s, but I always considered those to be very ugly; in fact there are many K-cars that look better.

Probably the only car that is more old people-y looking would be one of those 90s Cadillacs with the half covered rear wheels, or any Buick before they became rebadged Opels.

·
Registered
753 Posts
For me personally, almost every new generation took me a while to "get used to", then starts to "Look good", a few starts looking good right away.
I remember when the lamborghini LP640 just came out, My initial thought was "what have they done to the murcielago to make it this ugly". lol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts