DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into buying 2019 running boards for my new 2019 Crewcab lonestar truck but was told the 2018 would fit. Are they year specific or are will the 18s fit the 19s?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Purchased mine right from the dealer for $500. Might pay a few bucks more but at least they have "RAM" printed right on the step rail and there guaranteed to fit. They actually bolt right on cause the 2019's have the studs already attached to the rocker panels and the rail bracket slides right on. Simply put on the nuts and done! Like a 15 minute job, you can do it your self and save a few bucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd be surprised if the '18s fit on the new body '19s (they'll fit on the "Classic" models). The dimensions of the new trucks are different. I actually have to wait until Sept 1 for the ones I bought because they haven't shipped from the factory yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I spent alot of time under both the '18 & '19 trucks at the dealership when i bought mine because my dealer says the running boards and tonneau from the '18 would not fit the '19 rebel. Turns out he was definitely wrong about the tonneau but right about the running boards.

The running boards from the '18 have pre drilled holes under the truck for the boards to bolt IN TO, the running boards for the '19 have studs mounted under the truck for the boards to bolt ON TO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mopar store only lists 4 styles of side steps for new body '19s right now (it's really only 2 styles - wheel to wheel or cab length; depending on box length).

All 4 are chrome models similar to those trackercb posted:
https://www.moparestore.com/accesso...terior_accessories-running_boards_side_steps/

At least 2 other black styles will be available. One is an off-road style with a textured finish that that sits tight to the cab (my dealer had a couple of these in stock). The other is identical to the factory ordered side step (similar style as the chrome); these are coming early Sept according to my dealer (these are the ones I ordered).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man i hope amp or some other brand comes up with something soon. Until then i have to do that small climb. In only 5'10.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Man i hope amp or some other brand comes up with something soon. Until then i have to do that small climb. In only 5'10.
If you want AMP, is there a reason you are not just getting the Mopar power steps? They are now available. Mine just arrived and I'm getting them installed on Friday.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's actually no reason. I haven't even checked at my local dealership. Partly because I hate the place. I drove 300 miles to get my truck from another dealership just because of previous experiences I've had locally. It ended up being the best decision I've made.

And back to the running boards I haven't made up my mind at all about getting electronic or stationary running boards. Both the stationery and the power one's have their pros. I love the fact that when you're not using them they are out of the way but the door ding protection you get from stationary is a huge selling point too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They really do. and the ding protection helps too. I went to my dealer today and they didn't have those in black only in like a brushed color not even the chrome ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just started my install. Found the studs. Problem is their is paint on them and I cant get the nuts to start.....Advice?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just started my install. Found the studs. Problem is their is paint on them and I cant get the nuts to start.....Advice?
If it was me I'd chase the threads with a die (for cutting threads). If you don't have access to one the right size you could try a wire brush on a drill to try and work the paint thickness down some on the threads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it was me I'd chase the threads with a die (for cutting threads). If you don't have access to one the right size you could try a wire brush on a drill to try and work the paint thickness down some on the threads.
do you know what size die?
Nope, I'm still waiting on my truck. Sorry.

You could take the nut to a hardware store and rifle through their metric bolts till you find the size that fits, or if you have calipers you could measure bolt OD and thread pitch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dear Chrysler.....

If you could never paint a stud again....That would be great....

Laying on my back on the driveway...Chasing the Threads = 3 Hours

Installing the Running Boards = fifteen minutes

The fact that my shoulders are sore sore and not being able to pick my nose....Priceless!

Thanks for your help...They look awesome!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great! Glad to hear you got it sorted. Obviously not the best to have to go through all that work, but at least people without steps don't have to worry about their studs rusting right away.

A good reason for a buyer to negotiate steps into purchase methinks, if it's not already part of the trim/packages they plan to order. Let the shop strip the paint, and hopefully not the studs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Powerstep switch

I have the AMP Powersteps. I installed the override switch so they will stay down when in the parking lot and when I wash it. Best of both worlds!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts