DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving a 2020 1500 Eco equipped w factory installed tow package (brake controller) and pulling a 2018 Airstream w electrical brakes and 7-pin plugin. Trailer brakes work fine during normal highway driving; however, once I transition to slower speeds (town driving) the trailer aggressively applies the trailer brakes regardless of gain setting (testing @ zero to 10); the more I drive slowly the more aggressive the brakes are applied to the point of locking/skidding. I pulled off the road, turned off the truck, and reset the system; same results once I started up and drove. Only time the brakes ceased to behave this way was after I unplugged the 7-pin plugin from the truck; the trailer brakes released. 7-pin plugin appears clean and damage-free. I called Airstream; they said it is the truck voltage setting. Pulled same Airstream recently w my Range Rover w a handheld trailer brake (cigarette plugin) and no issues. Any suggestions? Thank-you.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Try to contact Verndiesel here or on ram1500diesel dot com. He has a 2014 Ecodiesel and shuttles Airstreams from the factory to dealers all over for a living. He is around 670k mile on his truck so would be able to give you some good insight.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sounds like the drums on the trailer need to be adjusted so they are closer to the drum surface. At high speed they won’t lock when engaged, but at low speed they will when out of adjustment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try to contact Verndiesel here or on ram1500diesel dot com. He has a 2014 Ecodiesel and shuttles Airstreams from the factory to dealers all over for a living. He is around 670k mile on his truck so would be able to give you some good insight.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the drums on the trailer need to be adjusted so they are closer to the drum surface. At high speed they won’t lock when engaged, but at low speed they will when out of adjustment.
Thank you. A/Stream is going in for service on Thursday when we get back from this trip. I'll mention this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Trailer brake adjustment is what I'd do on my 16 foot trailer. Electric trailer brakes can be maddening to get right. A voltage drop over "the big cord" (loose wire, corroded plug, etc.) can make trailer brakes "stupid". BTW, I fell in LOVE with a new 7 meter Airstream. Weighs less than my 16' Road Ranger and would pull MUCH easier, but over $800 a meter...(sleeps four).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts