DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself in a bad situation. I am hoping the dealership is going to figure out what to do. We bought a new 2020 1500 limited on Thursday. The purpose of this truck it to tow my horse from FL to CA in the early summer and back in the fall. Over the Rockies and long-distance driving. We told the sales person we needed the max towing capacity of either 11,100 or the 12,000 on the V8 hemi e-torque gas or diesel. He showed us a demo truck (no sticker shown) and said it had everything we needed including the trailer-tow package. So we trade in my car and away we go in the beautiful new truck. The next day (yesterday), I was looking at the sticker given to us with our signed paperwork and saw the axle was only 3.2 instead of the 3.92. And at looking at various trailers and checking the combined gross weight of the truck/trailer, had a nasty surprise of seeing it was not going to do the job. And, upon checking the VIN, saw that the towing capacity is rated at only 8100. I've talked to the manager today and he says he is going to see about changing the axle from the 3.2 to the 3.92. Is this practical and is it going to devalue my truck? Or should we push them to take this one back and give us the same thing but with the 3.92 axle?

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is more to your dilemma than just towing capacity and what that axle change will accomplish. A horse and horse trailer can be heavy. More questions you need to research:
1) Loaded, what is the tongue weight of your trailer assuming using a standard bumper hitch? Will it exceed the payload capacity of the truck (driver is excluded)?
2) Will the rear axle rating be exceeded? Tire capacities?
3) You can go to Ram's website and look up the truck configuration tool and see what a Limited's capacity will be with the new rear end. You need to input whether 4 wheel drive, type of cab, etc as they all affect towing and payload capacity.
4) Make sure you don't exceed the gross combined weight of both truck and trailer.
5) This is prob going to be ok, but make sure you know the hitch rating on the truck and that it exceeds what you need.
It is possible you may be ok depending on the above variables, but you need to know the TRUE total and tongue weight of your horse trailer with horse and any supplies. Best is to actually weigh on CAT type scales like the trucks use.
Do you know the weights, even roughly?
And of course, in the future, always use the VIN lookup and best the door sticker to see the all the capacities of any truck.
Best of luck... .

·
Registered
166 Posts
They can change the gears but you max towing capacity is still limited to whatever you have in your placard. If you want and need the extra number for purposes of legal compliance (the insurance companies look at the placard to cover a claim regardless if you had 4.88’s or 3.21’s, if they found you exceeded your weight limits you’ll be screwed) you want a truck with more gears from the factory. They should be able to do something about the dilemma since you found out about next day. Maybe you’ll have to dump some cash at the deal but try your best to exchange that truck.

Reactions: TheJetDoctor

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is more to your dilemma than just towing capacity and what that axle change will accomplish. A horse and horse trailer can be heavy. More questions you need to research:
1) Loaded, what is the tongue weight of your trailer assuming using a standard bumper hitch? Will it exceed the payload capacity of the truck (driver is excluded)?
2) Will the rear axle rating be exceeded? Tire capacities?
3) You can go to Ram's website and look up the truck configuration tool and see what a Limited's capacity will be with the new rear end. You need to input whether 4 wheel drive, type of cab, etc as they all affect towing and payload capacity.
4) Make sure you don't exceed the gross combined weight of both truck and trailer.
5) This is prob going to be ok, but make sure you know the hitch rating on the truck and that it exceeds what you need.
It is possible you may be ok depending on the above variables, but you need to know the TRUE total and tongue weight of your horse trailer with horse and any supplies. Best is to actually weigh on CAT type scales like the trucks use.
Do you know the weights, even roughly?
And of course, in the future, always use the VIN lookup and best the door sticker to see the all the capacities of any truck.
Best of luck... .
They can change the gears but you max towing capacity is still limited to whatever you have in your placard. If you want and need the extra number for purposes of legal compliance (the insurance companies look at the placard to cover a claim regardless if you had 4.88’s or 3.21’s, if they found you exceeded your weight limits you’ll be screwed) you want a truck with more gears from the factory. They should be able to do something about the dilemma since you found out about next day. Maybe you’ll have to dump some cash at the deal but try your best to exchange that truck.
The trailer I am looking at buying (I haven't bought it yet) will weight anywhere from 3000 lbs to 3400 lbs, without any extras added such as hay racks, more saddle racks, etc and not to mention hay, feed and water. I am only taking one horse who weighs about 1100 lbs. But when I looked at the CGWVR, and the recommendations of making sure that the CGWVR was up to 40% higher than I actually needed for mountain driving with a horse, I got nervous.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep- worried about the CGWVR..

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,004 Posts
We told the sales person we needed the max towing capacity of either 11,100 or the 12,000 on the V8 hemi e-torque gas or diesel. He showed us a demo truck (no sticker shown) and said it had everything we needed including the trailer-tow package.
Bottom line here is that you were lied to by a salesperson.
And they got away with it because you didn't do your due diligence in checking the numbers.

You might be able to persuade the dealership (at ownership level if necessary) to assist you in finding another truck without making you take a bit hit to the wallet. Some dealers are more responsive in that regard than others, but you have nothing to lose by trying.
You could contact FCA direcctly too, if you get no movement at dealer level, and simply tell them you were deceived.
Which you were, no question.

What you don't want is to be towing your horse back and forth across the nation while worrying about your truck's capabilities, and with the current truck that will be unavoidable unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Tell them that just changing the axle is not good enough. Tell him you want the vehicle you were expecting without any monkeying around. You want the vehicle that was labeled from the factory to be able to do what you were sold.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bottom line here is that you were lied to by a salesperson.
And they got away with it because you didn't do your due diligence in checking the numbers.

You might be able to persuade the dealership (at ownership level if necessary) to assist you in finding another truck without making you take a bit hit to the wallet. Some dealers are more responsive in that regard than others, but you have nothing to lose by trying.
You could contact FCA direcctly too, if you get no movement at dealer level, and simply tell them you were deceived.
Which you were, no question.

What you don't want is to be towing your horse back and forth across the nation while worrying about your truck's capabilities, and with the current truck that will be unavoidable unfortunately.
Thank you! Good to hear from all of you helpful folks. We talked to the manager and he is being super responsive and is looking for the right vehicle for us. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I find myself in a bad situation. I am hoping the dealership is going to figure out what to do. We bought a new 2020 1500 limited on Thursday. The purpose of this truck it to tow my horse from FL to CA in the early summer and back in the fall. Over the Rockies and long-distance driving. We told the sales person we needed the max towing capacity of either 11,100 or the 12,000 on the V8 hemi e-torque gas or diesel. He showed us a demo truck (no sticker shown) and said it had everything we needed including the trailer-tow package. So we trade in my car and away we go in the beautiful new truck. The next day (yesterday), I was looking at the sticker given to us with our signed paperwork and saw the axle was only 3.2 instead of the 3.92. And at looking at various trailers and checking the combined gross weight of the truck/trailer, had a nasty surprise of seeing it was not going to do the job. And, upon checking the VIN, saw that the towing capacity is rated at only 8100. I've talked to the manager today and he says he is going to see about changing the axle from the 3.2 to the 3.92. Is this practical and is it going to devalue my truck? Or should we push them to take this one back and give us the same thing but with the 3.92 axle?
I had a similar situation. You need to get a copy of the Marony (SP) sticker. The dealer can get it from file. Check the axle ratio stated on the sticker. Mine was listed as a 3.55, but had a 3.21 installed. Ram had to buy it back as it is a federal law that the vehicle match the Marony specs, no exceptions. The dealer helped, but your phone call to Ram starts the process. The dealer has to deal with various levels of management, but you don't. I was treated well and actually got more than I expected in extras.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You need at least a 3/4 ton (a 2500), perhaps even a 3500 for an added comfort level. You might want to consider a gooseneck trailer as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You need at least a 3/4 ton (a 2500), perhaps even a 3500 for an added comfort level. You might want to consider a gooseneck trailer as well.
I agree, I have many trailers, I travel from MN to the Rockies 2-3 times yearly, I Pull My wagons with 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW, There's been times that emergency stopping was required. You want the most Iron and Power available in the unfortunate event its needed. OP if you can afford the Power and Iron Buy it, YOU will not be disappointed. If that emergency stop or evasive maneuver develops you're going to thank yourself for the additional Iron in front of that wagon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is why I bought a 2500.It is a 2019, but it is a tradesman. Reg cab and so on.I sold my 1500 because of hauling and towing, and it was 14 years old.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I pulled a 38 foot camper from TX to western NY and back with a 2017 with 3.23 gears. Gas mileage sucked but truck did fine.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Was it the FULL window sticker? Just because it says 3.21 in one place doesn't mean it wasn't changed before going out the door.

Reactions: SilverBeast

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sad to say there is more than just adjustments in gears. I would get the field manager involved if they do not want to change the truck to a truck that was rated to do the job you requested... You did everything as a consumer but they did everything as a sales establishment and that was to sell regardless if it was what you truly needed or not. Problem for them was ,THEY GOT CAUGHT. If you do not get satisfaction then start looking further on a legal level.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If the truck you bought was a demo unit they should have no problem taking it back and selling again as a demonstrator.

·
Registered
44 Posts
In November if 2019 we wanted a 2019-2500 , Megacab Longhorn Rambox 4wd , clearance lights
Towing package , fully loaded.
The dealership called and would have the truck ready, we arrived and were going to check the truck out and the finance manager said we were ready and that would have time for the make ready .

We signed papers and they bring the truck around and there is NO RAMBOXES. Made it very clear on this item . I have muscle weakness and can’t get up in the bed .
The Maronie ( window sticker) showed Rambox on truck ?

The dealership manager got involved very quickly , it was built wrong , but no one ever checked the truck for Ramboxes ?

The dealership let me drive that truck for 4 weeks till they found one we would accept .
They had to add clearance lights , tint to the truck at their cost .

They went way out of their way to satisfy us . They really help us a lot .

TAKE THE TRUCK BACK

1 - 20 of 28 Posts