DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have seen a lot of new and neat ideas on trucks in the last 10 years. Ram has been Killing it with all there new technological advancements! I have been in the auto business for almost 20 Years and I see a lot of extra moving parts become a issue down the road. I have seen a lot of 5 year old F-150 Tailgate steps not want to work because they are jammed up with dirt or a couple small rocks. (Not Trying To Say The Ford Compares To A Ram;))
I love that you can walk right up to the beds edge on your Ram Truck but wonder how it will hold up down the road. What is your opinion?

Thanks For All Positive Feedback

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only Cover Your Ram With A Factory Backed Ram Extended Warranty.
Buy Direct And Save Chrysler Factory Warranty - Your #1 Source for Extended Coverage for Chrysler Vehicles

·
Registered
901 Posts
From a technicians side of the industry and fixing my own stuff, all them goodies are more stuff to go wrong. They are nice, but can be trouble. The whole A/C/heated seat thing, those GM tailgates when I first saw them I was wondering how well they will hold up. I have never owned a pick up that the tailgate didnt have some kind of dents and dings on it. And those moving parts probably are pretty precision in fit, so a smash by dropping something on tailgate while loading something could be making it unusable.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The Lincoln Blackwood I think it was called years ago has a split tailgate that opened like the Ram only the Lincoln was split in the middle. Honda has a tailgate that lowers or open like a door but it is not split. I don't recall any issues with either but the Lincoln Blackwood was not in production for very long either and Ford did not use that split tailgate on their F150, 250 350 trucks. The GMC tailgate is to complicated with two many options and it has two buttons that work everything on it. TFL tried to show how it worked and they could not remember which buttons to push and when to push them. I am sure you could learn it but why make it so complicated.

For me I will stick with my regular tailgate.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From a technicians side of the industry and fixing my own stuff, all them goodies are more stuff to go wrong. They are nice, but can be trouble. The whole A/C/heated seat thing, those GM tailgates when I first saw them I was wondering how well they will hold up. I have never owned a pick up that the tailgate didnt have some kind of dents and dings on it. And those moving parts probably are pretty precision in fit, so a smash by dropping something on tailgate while loading something could be making it unusable.
This is exactly what I am talking about. I think the option would be great for someone that never uses there bed for Work, keeps it spotless and in the garage.
But if you are actually going to use it for work hauling things and getting it dirty all the time I think you will have issues?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buy Direct And Save Chrysler Factory Warranty - Your #1 Source for Extended Coverage for Chrysler Vehicles

·
Registered
83 Posts
Adding the multifunction tailgate added over $3,000 to the build MSRP for the truck and that is a lot to pay to get the tailgate. I like the idea very much having used my truck to carry hundreds of 80 lb sacks of concrete where it is hard to toss them all into the bed and past the tailgate that forces me to stand a couple feet back from the edge of the bed. If all I used the truck for was to pick up groceries or haul dogs then it would not matter.

With the large SUV's like the Chevy Silverado one could buy them with either a horizontal split rear or with two doors that spit vertically as with a delivery van. The multifunction tailgate provides similar options.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adding the multifunction tailgate added over $3,000 to the build MSRP for the truck and that is a lot to pay to get the tailgate. I like the idea very much having used my truck to carry hundreds of 80 lb sacks of concrete where it is hard to toss them all into the bed and past the tailgate that forces me to stand a couple feet back from the edge of the bed. If all I used the truck for was to pick up groceries or haul dogs then it would not matter.

With the large SUV's like the Chevy Silverado one could buy them with either a horizontal split rear or with two doors that spit vertically as with a delivery van. The multifunction tailgate provides similar options.

I questioned if you were right on this. I went and built one myself and you are Right! You better love it. There are more options added with the price increase but it still adds
$3,000. good input here.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I questioned if you were right on this. I went and built one myself and you are Right! You better love it. There are more options added with the price increase but it still adds
$3,000. good input here.
The MFT added $1000 to the price of our Limited. Adding it requires you to select an equipment group, so if you were not planning to add one your price will be higher.

·
Registered
2020 Ram Rebel, Bright White
1 Posts
The Lincoln Blackwood I think it was called years ago has a split tailgate that opened like the Ram only the Lincoln was split in the middle. Honda has a tailgate that lowers or open like a door but it is not split. I don't recall any issues with either but the Lincoln Blackwood was not in production for very long either and Ford did not use that split tailgate on their F150, 250 350 trucks. The GMC tailgate is to complicated with two many options and it has two buttons that work everything on it. TFL tried to show how it worked and they could not remember which buttons to push and when to push them. I am sure you could learn it but why make it so complicated.

For me I will stick with my regular tailgate.
Got the split tailgate on my 20 Ram Rebel and love it so does the wife. I am 72 and disabled and does it help with loading and uploading items. So far so good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts