DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at upgrading to a 2020 1500 Ram with a 6.4 bed and would like to know what you all think pro and con about the Ram box. considering the Big Horn or Laramie 5.7 4x4 crew cab. all opinions appreciated. George

·
Registered
307 Posts
No Rambox option in 6.4’ bed on a 2020 1500. 1500s only have the 5.7’ available with the Rambox.

·
Super Moderator
34,699 Posts
Didn't they do this with the original Rambox trucks, and roll out the 6.4' Rambox bed later?

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm wondering if they're having problems with lid alignment on the longer beds even more than they do on the shorter beds. So they are delaying the release of that option until they can figure it out. I have no data or articles to back that up, just my own mind working there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 2017 Laramie 5.7' bed with a Rambox. This is my first truck with that option. The quickest way I can illustrate my opinion of the Rambox, is that I would NEVER own another truck without one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have had a myriad of Rams (have a '19 Quadcab 4X4 1500 and a '20 CrewCab 4X4 2500, now) and although have thought about the Ram Box option when ordering or buying out of inventory, the lids on those Ram Boxes always seemed a bit flimsy to me. I'm not sure they would hold up against someone trying to bust into them by prying up one end (not enough latches for the length?), so rather than get upset when someone stole something out of one of those boxes, I opted not to get the Box option. And other than when they're not available (as in the single/short cab units) I've always gotten the Laramie interiors - nice. The single/short cabs I've had have been the Sports, and in the most recent one I had the cloth seats changed out to leather after a year as the cloth was already showing wear...

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have had a myriad of Rams (have a '19 Quadcab 4X4 1500 and a '20 CrewCab 4X4 2500, now) and although have thought about the Ram Box option when ordering or buying out of inventory, the lids on those Ram Boxes always seemed a bit flimsy to me. I'm not sure they would hold up against someone trying to bust into them by prying up one end (not enough latches for the length?), so rather than get upset when someone stole something out of one of those boxes, I opted not to get the Box option. And other than when they're not available (as in the single/short cab units) I've always gotten the Laramie interiors - nice. The single/short cabs I've had have been the Sports, and in the most recent one I had the cloth seats changed out to leather after a year as the cloth was already showing wear...
Honestly, it would be much easier to break into the cab than pry off a rambox lid. How hard is it to break a window? Same issue with soft tonneau covers. My point is...anything can be broken into. And what you store in there is up to you. It's your choice not to get the option on the off chance that someone might break into them. I don't live in a high crime area, so honestly, security never really played into my decision making process when choosing which options I wanted. The option is very useful for me so I wanted it. Even so, I don't keep anything of any real value in there when the truck is unattended.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Honestly, it would be much easier to break into the cab than pry off a rambox lid. How hard is it to break a window? Same issue with soft tonneau covers. My point is...anything can be broken into. And what you store in there is up to you. It's your choice not to get the option on the off chance that someone might break into them. I don't live in a high crime area, so honestly, security never really played into my decision making process when choosing which options I wanted. The option is very useful for me so I wanted it. Even so, I don't keep anything of any real value in there when the truck is unattended.
Disagree that it'd be much easier to break into the cab - the newer Rams have the laminated side glass now in addition to the windshield - ever try and break through one of those? Nearly impossible - not like the older safety glass that shatters into a thousand pieces with little provocation.
But yes, anything can be broken into - I just felt the length of the lids on the RamBox allowed it to be pried open a little easier than I'd like - and yes, although I don't live in a high-crime area, we do get some roamers in the neighborhood trying to pop open anything they can. The beauty of it being an option is that, it's an option. You chose to get it, I chose not to, and hopefully the OP can use both our experience to decide what they want to order.
And BTW - I would never trust a tonneau cover to keep anyone out - the neighborhood roamers can slice through those (or pry up most of the metal ones) easily. Heck, I only use the steel contractors boxes in the beds if I need something secured - the aluminum step plate ones most sell are also easy to break into. And FWIW - I live in an area where the governing powers decided that vehicle break-in and even vehicle theft perpetrators should not have to come up with any bail, so if they get caught they go downtown, get processed, and then are let back out to do as they please ("zero dollar bail")...and you can guess how many are picked up for the same thievery often in less than 24 hours.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Disagree that it'd be much easier to break into the cab - the newer Rams have the laminated side glass now in addition to the windshield - ever try and break through one of those? Nearly impossible - not like the older safety glass that shatters into a thousand pieces with little provocation.
But yes, anything can be broken into - I just felt the length of the lids on the RamBox allowed it to be pried open a little easier than I'd like - and yes, although I don't live in a high-crime area, we do get some roamers in the neighborhood trying to pop open anything they can. The beauty of it being an option is that, it's an option. You chose to get it, I chose not to, and hopefully the OP can use both our experience to decide what they want to order.
And BTW - I would never trust a tonneau cover to keep anyone out - the neighborhood roamers can slice through those (or pry up most of the metal ones) easily. Heck, I only use the steel contractors boxes in the beds if I need something secured - the aluminum step plate ones most sell are also easy to break into. And FWIW - I live in an area where the governing powers decided that vehicle break-in and even vehicle theft perpetrators should not have to come up with any bail, so if they get caught they go downtown, get processed, and then are let back out to do as they please ("zero dollar bail")...and you can guess how many are picked up for the same thievery often in less than 24 hours.
We can agree to disagree then I guess. I have broken out laminated windshields, more than once. Back in my demolition derby days. Even if the side windows are laminated, a crow bar and sledge make it pretty easy. My question to you is have you ever actually tried to pry off a rambox lid, or are you just assuming it would be easy because it's plastic? I really have no idea since that's not something I've ever tried, but in looking at mine I think it would be harder than you're making it sound. I'm not trying to be confrontational, just arguing my point.

Either way, at least we agree that anything can be broken into if someone is determined enough. And that things are only going to get worse if mayors continue to let criminals skate. We all know that letting someone off with just a slap on the wrist is only going to encourage them to do it again since there are no real consequences. All this covid crap combined with the BLM movement has made half the population insane.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We can agree to disagree then I guess. I have broken out laminated windshields, more than once. Back in my demolition derby days. Even if the side windows are laminated, a crow bar and sledge make it pretty easy. My question to you is have you ever actually tried to pry off a rambox lid, or are you just assuming it would be easy because it's plastic? I really have no idea since that's not something I've ever tried, but in looking at mine I think it would be harder than you're making it sound. I'm not trying to be confrontational, just arguing my point.

Either way, at least we agree that anything can be broken into if someone is determined enough. And that things are only going to get worse if mayors continue to let criminals skate. We all know that letting someone off with just a slap on the wrist is only going to encourage them to do it again since there are no real consequences. All this covid crap combined with the BLM movement has made half the population insane.
You have me chuckling - sure, with a crow bar and a sledge, anyone can pretty much break into anything. But what I am more concerned about are the thieves walking around with screwdrivers they can use to pry the Ramboxes open. I was tweaking one at a show but had to stop when the attendant showed up - but I know I can get into one more easily than breaking through laminated glass...(oh yes, I weigh between 2 and 3 hundred lbs, and could not bust through a windshield of a junked pickup even jumping on it!)
As for the rest of your comment - well, we have to disagree on that too - I think it's more than half that are insane! LOL.

·
Registered
608 Posts
You have me chuckling - sure, with a crow bar and a sledge, anyone can pretty much break into anything. But what I am more concerned about are the thieves walking around with screwdrivers they can use to pry the Ramboxes open. I was tweaking one at a show but had to stop when the attendant showed up - but I know I can get into one more easily than breaking through laminated glass...(oh yes, I weigh between 2 and 3 hundred lbs, and could not bust through a windshield of a junked pickup even jumping on it!)
As for the rest of your comment - well, we have to disagree on that too - I think it's more than half that are insane! LOL.
Same here...I got a mental image of a 250 pound guy body-slamming the windshield on an old truck. :LOL:
I'm not surprised you weren't able to jump through the windshield. The trick to breaking one out is to first break the glass up, penetrate it with something sharp near an edge, then pry it out around the edge with that same screwdriver you're carrying around. It's just easier to do with a pry bar. (y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
My local dealer has a Rambox 2020 Power Wagon with the 6'4" bed. I want one badly. Wish my 2016 1500 had them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts