DODGE RAM FORUM banner

When using the "AUTO" function for your headlights, do your lights always stay on (night/day)?

• Headlights automatically turn ON/OFF based on ambient lighting.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Headlights are always on when set to "AUTO".

Votes: 1 16.7%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn [5.7L HEMI]
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: This is not a DRL issue. It is a headlight issue.

Hi everyone,
Just purchased a new Ram 1500 Bighorn. It comes with AUTO lights. At this time, when I use this feature (turn the knob to "AUTO"), the lights remain ON all of the time, rain or shine. All of the cars/trucks I have owned that had AUTO lights would turn the headlights on/off depending on ambient light conditions. For some reason, this is not the case with my new Ram.

I have taken it to the dealership to have it looked at. They changed the light sensor, but the issue is still there. The service guys said they called Chrysler Engineers and were told that this is how the new Rams work (which would defeat the purpose of having a light sensor, or an AUTO function to begin with).

Am I the only one experiencing this with a 2021 Ram? Can some of you confirm that their 2021 Ram AUTO light features work as expected?

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Sound like the DRL is turned on.

Reactions: d137ca

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see you are from Canada. Possible Drl lights during day. Thats my guess.
The DRLs are running as they should when the lights on off. When I place it on AUTO, it's the full on headlights that turn on, even in bright sun.

Thanks for the tip nonetheless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sound like the DRL is turned on.
The DRL and the headlights aren't the same source. DRL will run when the lights are off, but then they are on AUTO, it's the full on headlights that come on. Dash lights are directly tied to headlights and when on AUTO, the dash goes dark, just like it was night time. Basically, the AUTO function is completely useless at the moment.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone,
Just purchased a new Ram 1500 Bighorn. It comes with AUTO lights. At this time, when I use this feature (turn the knob to "AUTO"), the lights remain ON all of the time, rain or shine. All of the cars/trucks I have owned that had AUTO lights would turn the headlights on/off depending on ambient light conditions. For some reason, this is not the case with my new Ram.

I have taken it to the dealership to have it looked at. They changed the light sensor, but the issue is still there. The service guys said they called Chrysler Engineers and were told that this is how the new Rams work (which would defeat the purpose of having a light sensor, or an AUTO function to begin with).

Am I the only one experiencing this with a 2021 Ram? Can some of you confirm that their 2021 Ram AUTO light features work as expected?

Thanks everyone for your assistance.
That's not how my auto lights work. They come on at dusk. Actually, a little too early for me, but I guess there is no adjustment for that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I'm not mistaken, lights on are required in Canada so all vehicles shipped or built there are set to stay on regardless of lighting.
The Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) are mandatory by law, yes, but they are not the same as the headlights. When the lights are off, the DRLs are on (but they are not the headlights, they are the yellow turning signals, on all the time when headlights are off). My issue is when I place the light setting to AUTO. It is my understanding that the headlight should come on automatically when ambient light is low (like as dusk), and turn off (and revert to DRLs) when there is sufficient ambient light. However, in my case, the headlights (not DRLs) are on ALL of the time, regardless of ambient light.

It's been getting clearer to me that there is a defect in the light control module, based on the evidence and what others have told me.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Assuming the lights go off when the truck is turned off. If they do, I wouldn't worry about them being on during the daytime.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Assuming the lights go off when the truck is turned off. If they do, I wouldn't worry about them being on during the daytime.
That's fine as a workaround, but having a $60k truck that has a light knob that does absolutely nothing, is a little frustrating. The other issue is, when the lights are on, the truck thinks it's nighttime and all of the dash lights/screens are dimmed down to a point that you cannot see them during the day. This last part certainly constitutes a safety issue, and is the main reason why I am trying to figure out this problem.

My next step is to use AlfaOBD and see if I can't reconfigure the lights properly myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

So far, the dealership has changed the light/ambient sensor, the lights control module, and the light switch/knob. They were unsuccessful in fixing the issue.

I have not yet tried to modify the programming myself with AlfaOBD yet, as this would be my last resort (purchases involved). I will be going back to the original dealer where I purchased the truck (did not return there for service as it was too far from my home) and see what they can do there.

Again, I realize that DRLs are turned on automatically and they cannot be disabled, but the AUTO feature of the lights should be able to control the panel and other exterior lights based on the ambient lighting.

Will keep you posted on other updates, for those who are interested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE #2:

We've found the issue. Albeit won't be repaired for some time, we at least know where the problem lies.

After taking the truck to multiple dealerships for repairs, it seems that this is a software issue. Dealer technicians spoke with FCA and they've identified the problem to the BCM software.

I am far from being the only one affected by this. Seems that a large batch of 2021 models in Canada have this issue. At the last dealership I visited, the salesperson checked to see if the problem existed on new trucks on his lot. Several new trucks were found to have the same problem, but not all of them. Considering the number of afflicted trucks, I certainly hope that it will put pressure on FCA to come up with a fix sooner rather than later.

I hope that this update will be able to help others that may be in the same position as me.

-Cheers!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm proud of you. Your tenacity got results. Congrats!

Reactions: d137ca

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same issue with mu new truck.
This also affects the Nav as it won't go into night mode if you have the dimmer on full so you can see the cluster during the day.
Got Auto, sure would be nice if it worked!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the same issue with mu new truck.
This also affects the Nav as it won't go into night mode if you have the dimmer on full so you can see the cluster during the day.
Got Auto, sure would be nice if it worked!!
See your dealer about it. Tell them that DCA already a number of tickets open on this topic. The more people complain, the faster they will come up with a software fix (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
3 Posts
UPDATE #2:

We've found the issue. Albeit won't be repaired for some time, we at least know where the problem lies.

After taking the truck to multiple dealerships for repairs, it seems that this is a software issue. Dealer technicians spoke with FCA and they've identified the problem to the BCM software.

I am far from being the only one affected by this. Seems that a large batch of 2021 models in Canada have this issue. At the last dealership I visited, the salesperson checked to see if the problem existed on new trucks on his lot. Several new trucks were found to have the same problem, but not all of them. Considering the number of afflicted trucks, I certainly hope that it will put pressure on FCA to come up with a fix sooner rather than later.

I hope that this update will be able to help others that may be in the same position as me.

-Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had My truck to the Dealer today, same problem, was told the same thing that the it is a software issue that they are working on but engineering has no time line when the fix will be completed, I was asked to follow up with them in 1 - 2 Months.
My colleague at work has the same truck (same Model) and similar equipment) we got them a week a part, his lighting system work as it should. Crazy how some work some don't and they haven't figured out the software fix yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had My truck to the Dealer today, same problem, was told the same thing that the it is a software issue that they are working on but engineering has no time line when the fix will be completed, I was asked to follow up with them in 1 - 2 Months.
My colleague at work has the same truck (same Model) and similar equipment) we got them a week a part, his lighting system work as it should. Crazy how some work some don't and they haven't figured out the software fix yet.
Yeah, it's quite annoying. I am looking forward to the day everything will work as it should. I am in contact with the Service Manager at one of the dealerships here and once a week I will ping him to see if there has been any updates. He takes the time to contact FCA each week, hoping for some good news.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts