DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a little upset about trading the 24 mufflex for the 18.
The sound is not much different , maybe a tad deeper but def.isn't what I expected.
Does anyone know if I take off the Resonators off if it will be louder? There is no drone now and I don't want any, so that's a concern. Man I wish I went for the 14. I don't know may have to get it anyways, lol , and make it all 3 that I buy..
Any insight or help with this I would appreciate.

Also I have a 24 mufflex for sale now if anybody is interested, has 500 miles on it, give or take a few...
THanks.....

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
yes, the tone and sound will be louder with the resonators removed...also, added miles will increase the sound as the muffler breaks in...you should consider a cutout...stealthy one minute and nascar the next... I'd post a vid but Juice420 or whoever is sick of them and will puke if he sees another one of my vids.. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, the tone and sound will be louder with the resonators removed...also, added miles will increase the sound as the muffler breaks in...you should consider a cutout...stealthy one minute and nascar the next... I'd post a vid but Juice420 or whoever is sick of them and will puke if he sees another one of my vids.. :)
Thanks for your feedback, I would like to know more about this cutout, what's involved? Would love to here a video, also with my previous question, will there be drone without the resonators on my 18?

·
Registered
6,250 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a 24" maggy installed... almost no difference at all from stock, was very dissappointed. Had the resonators removed and made a noticeable difference. Louder and deeper than stock, aggressive sound when accelerating, no drone at any speed. Definitely not loud, but deep and noticeable without being offensive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a 24" maggy installed... almost no difference at all from stock, was very dissappointed. Had the resonators removed and made a noticeable difference. Louder and deeper than stock, aggressive sound when accelerating, no drone at any speed. Definitely not loud, but deep and noticeable without being offensive.
I'm wondering now if I'll have the drone if I do the resonator delete being I have the 18 installed now,,
Anyone with the 18 inch mufflex and no resonatorr chime in please, otherwise I'll have to just experiment myself...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
since you asked..a cutout is a Y pipe added into your exhaust before the muffler (or cats) and with an electric butterfly, you can open and unleash the unadulterated exhaust..here is some pics an vids for you.. I have the equivalent of the 24" mufflex setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA_MFYFOPCI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmskQNkx-nA
I love it......sounds bad ass, but the wife would destroy me,,
Thanks for your efforts though
Maybe if I were in my early 20's again, na......for sure :smileup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
on a muffler

in days gone by and not haveing moneys to mod right now. the best muffler around for a Dodge was the muffler from a 1964/1965 super charged Corvar made by walker. this muffler gave 1/2 pound back pressure and if memory service right was 2 1/2 opening and the sound was great, used these on a 1970 Charger. and cost in those days were great. the other muffler that was the best in those days was a muffler that went onto a porshe but cost was to high. :thk:

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Thanks for your feedback, I would like to know more about this cutout, what's involved? Would love to here a video, also with my previous question, will there be drone without the resonators on my 18?
I'd imagine there would be a little drone but nothing horrible. I have a 14" Flowmaster (being swapped for a maggie soon) and deleted the resonators as well. In the cab there is a noticeable drone around 50MPH and depending on the mood you're in you'll either deal with it or just tick that shifter over to the right and let it sit in "V8 mode". When your cruising on the highway from 60-75 with MDS on you don't notice it though, specially with the radio on even at normal listening levels you'll notice wind and tire noise before the MDS. The 18" mufflex is a good size to go with but consider leaving the resonators on as they're not really robbing you of any power or noticeable sound IMO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'd imagine there would be a little drone but nothing horrible. I have a 14" Flowmaster (being swapped for a maggie soon) and deleted the resonators as well. In the cab there is a noticeable drone around 50MPH and depending on the mood you're in you'll either deal with it or just tick that shifter over to the right and let it sit in "V8 mode". When your cruising on the highway from 60-75 with MDS on you don't notice it though, specially with the radio on even at normal listening levels you'll notice wind and tire noise before the MDS. The 18" mufflex is a good size to go with but consider leaving the resonators on as they're not really robbing you of any power or noticeable sound IMO.
Thanks for your imput. I think I will give it some time before making any desicion about the resonators and see if the volume increases some. I already put about 300 miles on the muffler and call me crazy but it seems to have gotten a bit louder already..
also my MDS is disabled compliments of my superchips cortex. MDS blows

1 - 11 of 11 Posts