DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing as the 2500 w/hemi does not have the MDS using only 5w20 should not be a concern. Who amongst us is using 5w30 as the oil of choice for their 2500 hemi? Also, have you noticed a mileage drop? or difference in how the Hemi runs? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I notice you're in MN, I don't see how the lighter weight oil could hurt especially in the colder weather. Might want to bump up to the 30weight during the spring/summer months just to be safe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Truck most likely will not see much of the outside world (or salt) during the winter months. My 96 has now been downgraded to the daily driver. The 2500 will mostly be used for towing during the camping season. I will probably dump in 5w30 for the winter storage so its ready to go in a few long months.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Truck most likely will not see much of the outside world (or salt) during the winter months. My 96 has now been downgraded to the daily driver. The 2500 will mostly be used for towing during the camping season. I will probably dump in 5w30 for the winter storage so its ready to go in a few long months.
The spec for the truck is 5w20 so there is no reason for the 5w30 in the winter. In fact in the winter your better off with 0w20 particularly if it is going to be sitting quite a bit. I just changed my oil from the Amsoil 5w20 I usually run to the 0w20 even though a drive as much in the winter as I do in the summer.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I would use at least the oil viscosity on your fill cap & in your owners manual

the first number on the oil viscosity scale, does Not mean a thing, UNLESS it is Winter

like 0 W-** means that the oil was tested down to that temperature in cold weather settings
same with 5 W-**
the W is the abbreviation for Winter

The number after the W- is the actual viscosity of warmed up oil, it keeps that viscosity until it reaches its particular break down point, just before it boils,

Technical speak page, the Last Paragraph says it all
http://www.zddplus.com/TechBrief13 - Oil Viscosity.pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts