DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice pls...

Working on a Friends 2500 that had a couple transmission issues. Since it has 108k on it, I assumed it was past time to service it. Also given the hard slam into first after a stop (intermittent) I decided to bite the bullet and replace the valve body and solenoid pack.
Put the parts in yesterday and waited for the RTV to dry over night. Oh and I pulled the neg. off both batteries.
This morning put in some new fluid, connected the battery terminals and jumped into try to start it. Display says it is not in park and can't move the gear shift. So I push the BTSI lever which allow it to move, but I lost control and it moved to far. Now I can't get it to move again.

Took the cable out of the holder on the tranny and the tranny lever does move but the display says it is in 1st. However, doesn't feel like it has detents but smooth movement forward and backwards.

Do I have a BTSI problem or a Tranny problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found half of the problem -- Tore the steering column apart and removed the BTSI solenoid. The plunger was stuck and the lever holding arms had spread letting it come out of position. Searching for that part - can't find it. I think you have to order the gear shift to get it - what a crock...

FYI to fix it -- I removed it, removed the plunger and spring (careful not to lose the spring -- very small), cleaned both with brake kleen. With the lever out, drill 2 (small as possible) holes in the holding arms and put a very small cable tie around so that the lever can still move. Put the spring and plunger back in before installing cable tie or you won't be able to. I used "Dry Slide" (graphite in liquid carrier) to lube the plunger it works well for this application. It is used to lube Motorcycle cables -- great stuff...

5 minute fix for a crappy part...

Now onto the Transmission being in 1st. Still looking for help with this

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to save someone else the aggravation:

1) cable adjuster is on the transmission Black plastic that snaps onto the tranny shift lever. Carefully pull both sides of the white clip out about 1/4" to 3/8". the only adjustment there is. However if like the one I worked on, the clip broke and couldn't get it to move so $150 later a new cable. Easy to change though. Remove the old one and shove it down from above.

2) Finally found the solenoid - a DORMAN 924985 is supposed to work just another $70...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts