DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post! Today I am going to look at a 2011 ram 2500. It's white, 4x4, crew cab 32,000 miles, 5.7 hemi. $30,500. The question is...why is the tow rating on it lower than that of the half ton. the three quarter ton's gears are the 3.73 and the half ton's are 3.92. Can that be the only reason? I need it to pull a gooseneck when I take my calves to the sale. The tow rating on it is only like 8,800 lbs. What to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, I'm a little miffed as to why my BIL's Nissan Titan 1/2 ton has a higher towing capacity than my 2500HD!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Its because of the following:
2500= HD frame, suspension, and in general a bigger, heavier truck
Crew Cab= more weight
Short Bed= reduced weight carrying area (weight is forced over the rear axle instead of on the frame to distribute it)
4x4 = more weight to push around
3.73 gears = lower gear ratio

Now take the weight differences in the 2500 you have configured and subtract them from the difference in towing capacity and you'll see that its only limited because the hemi can only pull so much consistently.

I do have to ask, if you're pulling cattle around why wouldn't you opt for the cummins anyways? You can find used 06-07 5.9s with a straight shift in them for a great price AND if you have any diesel farm equipment you'll be able to run the OR diesel that your equipment takes if you "need" to. You can also build these trucks to be more powerful than the 6.7's with the addition of injectors and the fuel system (under 2k if you go for the best brands) and you'll have a truck that gets awesome fuel economy and can out pull anything else.

Just my .02, feel free to take it or leave it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Dodge has some weird tow rating systems for sure. I wouldn't worry at all about the chassis handling it. As for the engine, depending on your total weight, how often you tow, and where you tow to (mountains or flats), the Hemi may not be too good. I wouldn't want to pull more than 10,000 pounds with it ever. And then only maybe once a month or less. And even less in the mountains. Consider the Cummins if any of those are something you do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts