DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, 94 5.9L magnum has been overheating for some time now. I had initially thought that it was a clog in the radiator, but I've flushed it several times and have just taken it out and ran the garden hose through it, It didnt seem overly restricted. I've also put a "fail safe" thermostat in that stays open when bad. I removed the water pump to check it out the impeller seems to rotate easily and feels very smooth. Between the waterpump and and the timing cover, it looked as if there was only Red RTV used instead of a gasket. Also the impeller housing on the timing cover, there was some pretty noticable pitting going on in one confined area. I dont think the fan clutch is a factor right now because it runs a constant 210 at highway speed or 25mph, only when idling does it overheat. The radiator is bulged at the top and I can afford to replace only so many things at this point any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Sure sounds like a clogged radiator to me. Repeated flushings won't fix it if it's bad enough and it only takes a few rows being stopped up to cause a problem while still appearing to flow freely.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Dirt can get caked up in the radiator, a simple flush isn't so simple. It won't clean it, sounds like you need a new radiator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts