DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my bed off about amonth ago. I ran stacks by the cab, like the nice blue diesel under the "frenched stacks" forum. I had two trailer lights mounted to the frame for tail lights. Everything worked fine, until yesterday when I put the bed back on. Hooked up the lights, I have stop, turn and hazard lights and reverse, but no parking or night time marker lights in the rear, or license plate lights. Front parking lights work. I unhooked the light sockets at the first spilt going away from the tail lights. I get juice to everything except the running, parking light terminal. I have checked all fuses, none are blown. I am clueless on how test a relay if that could be an issue. Could this be a bed not grounded issue, a bad wire somewhere in the miles of wires, or a faulty headlight switch in the cab. truck is a 2001 ram 1500 4dr ext cab 4x4 SLT, 5.2L v8. Google search turned up several things. bad ipm(engine fuse panel) bad hazard fuse in engine fuse panel(doesn't appear blown, its the square one with a clear removable top section 20amp rating), bad headlight switch, break in a wire / shorting out somewhere, junction box under bed for rear lighting and lastly bed not being grounded and circuit not being completed. Cant remember if bed was grounded when I took it off. Any suggestions helps.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Go back to where/when the tails were working, meaning take the bed off and see if they come back on. If they do, then you know it's something with the bed. Pinched wire or ???.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
Go back to where/when the tails were working, meaning take the bed off and see if they come back on. If they do, then you know it's something with the bed. Pinched wire or ???.
I agree, go back to the cleanest starting point. The wiring going back to the tlps should be under the driver's side frame and shouldn't have anything to do with the bed. Try a test light at the tlps and isolate which wire does what. (stop/turn/marker) Locate the ground and try a temp ground to that wire and see what happens. If I remember correctly the ground should be right in the back above the spare. Maybe it got knocked loose.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I believe yes, bed not grounded. To test it, run a jumper ground to the battery. The factory loves to use the chassis as a ground. Saves 15' of #16 wire! About $.05 x 750,000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts