DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I purchased a 2014 Ram 1500 regular cab with the rear axle gears 3.21
I will haul a car and trailer maybe once per year most likely total weight 6500 lbs, unlikely but could hit up to 8000 lbs.
The 3.21 are rated to 7000 lbs.
If I find I am hauling over 7000 lbs, can I change out the 3.21 and replace with 3.55 gears, is it as simple as that? or would the case and axles etc be different?

·
8,063 Posts
If your truck is a 2wd then yes it's pretty much as simple as that. You'll need a ring and pinion and probably an install kit but that's it. The housing and axles will work. However if you're going to go through the hassle of changing gears I'd probably go to 3.92's rather than 3.55's.

·
Registered
15,582 Posts
you could, but if you go through the regear expense, might as well go to at least 3:92. still might not be able to legally tow over the sticker on your truck though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
6 speed. I was thinking that the 3.55 would be a bit better on gas than the 3.92. Since I ended up with the 3.21,(delivery next week) I thought I would enjoy the gas savings till I had the need to haul 7000 lbs. Then switch with the 3.55 going forward.

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
I would be surprised if you could not find someone close by to just switch the whole rear differentials with you
Many people wanted the 3.21 rear end & could only get the 3.55 rear end at the time of purchase

It would be nice to just park 2 Rams side by side, put them on jack stands, drop the whole rear end out of both, switch them over & just bolt them back in
The paperwork would be wrong, but who besides the 2 people switching would know, unless they were told, the police would not care & it is doubtful that the dealership would ever know, they are not about to count ring gear teeth or look for a stamp, unless there was a major parts failure

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I would be surprised if you could not find someone close by to just switch the whole rear differentials with you
Many people wanted the 3.21 rear end & could only get the 3.55 rear end at the time of purchase

It would be nice to just park 2 Rams side by side, put them on jack stands, drop the whole rear end out of both, switch them over & just bolt them back in
The paperwork would be wrong, but who besides the 2 people switching would know, unless they were told, the police would not care & it is doubtful that the dealership would ever know, they are not about to count ring gear teeth or look for a stamp, unless there was a major parts failure
I agree here. I'm sure you could find someone to swap with. The rear axles are a pretty easy swap.

·
Registered
15,582 Posts
GT, police wouldn't care until there is/if an accident while towing and he is over the listed rating for his truck. ins companies at looking at things like this in an effort to not pay claims.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts