DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm about to take off my winter tires (265/70/17 Firestone Winterforce 43 lbs) and get some new rubber. My truck already feels sluggish compared to the all season OEM tires that came with it. I have an 2008 Quad Cab 1500 with the 345 hp 5.7L, 545 RFE 4wd (the 3.00 first gear SUCKS!). I have 50k miles on it and I can't get higher, no matter how hard I try, than 12 mpg during the winter. However, I do get 14.5-16 mpg during the summer with my 265/70/17 GY SR-As that weigh about 35 lbs.

I've always had Toyo MTs in mind because of how everyone raves about them. Unfortunately, I only have 3.55 gears and I don't really want to shell out $2k for 4.56 gears because I can't see myself owning the truck for more than 3 years. I was looking at the 295/70/17 Open Country MT E-rated and they weigh 73 lbs EACH! Thats over twice what the OEM Goodyears weigh! Will my truck even move with that much weight at each corner? What kind of mileage will I expect....7/8 MPG? What can I expect if I do decide to spend $1350 for the new tires?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I cant fathom your having that much issue with weight, I have a 09 with the crappy 4.7 and I ran 18 rockstars with 35s and really only power complaint was at interstate cruising speeds and it always searching for gears on interstate. BTW I have same gears 3.55. Also as far as fuel goes is that hand calculated? or on board mpg, did you have speedo recal?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the 265/70/17s I have on right now and the crappy winter blend, I get 12 mpg hand calculated.

What was your mpg with the 35" setup?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Any wheres between 10mpg to 12mpg, sometimes a lil better. I just find it hard to beleave thats all your getting? My company truck has the hemi and is 4x4 with stock rims and tires, never hand calc it but I could go empty for @ 5 to 6 hours on interstate, level to rolling hills between fill ups, sometimes better than that in summer months, thats with the largest tank dodge provides...My truck before that was 6.0 chevy 2wd and you talk about crap mpg lmao

·
Registered
11 Posts
You should not worry at all about gearing. I have an 07 1500 QC with the 5.7 and 40x15.5xr20 toyo mt's on my 20x12 rockstars. I still have the stock gearing in my truck and it drives fine. It doesn't hesitate off the line or anything.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
No to thread jack but 07 I would love to see pics of your truck! Something about 40s just makes trucks seem so much cooler lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
im running 305/55-20 trail grapplers. this winter im getting 12.5 or so..i have the same truck as you. i havent had a chance with the running the tires in the summer when the fuel is crap..but im hopping to be around 13.5-14..

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the 3.55's on 35's on my truck. Not the best setup but gets the job done. I also pull a 7-8Klb boat so for that reason if I keep this truck I will be going to 4.56's

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you plan to keep it forever, re-diffgear it. It's extra load on the transmission, and will cause the trans to hunt for gears.
The flip side is that if you plan to put stock size tires back on it prior to resale, it'll be reving to the moon at highway speed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts