DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought my 2014 1500 4x4 with the 3.6 in it. Noticed there isn't many parts for it. So what other platforms can be used to upgrade these engines?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
What are you wanting to do to it?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
You can't add headers, the exhaust manifolds are integrated into the heads so the downpipes bolt straight to them

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
That's all you can really do-unless you want to remove the cats too

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didn’t know you could remove the cats unless you replace the whole pipe from the flange where it mounts to the head all the way to the collector. I wish magnaflow or flowmaster made a better exhaust from the the head all the way back. I’d be happy with just ditching the cats in favor of a custom fabbed pipe that gets rid of the cats. As free flowing as it could be from there to the stock muffler. To me the factory muffler is the best sounding because even all the big names sound like junk due to the V6. I plan on supercharging after my truck is payed off, so hopefully my stock muffler on a free flowing exhaust won’t be a hindrance.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Sounds like you should have got the Hemi! The 3.6 is all about fuel economy and not so much performance. Does anybody even make a turbo kit/supercharger for the 3.6? I doubt it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well at the time I couldn’t afford a Hemi. So I was limited with my choices due to credit, etc. Going through the certified pre-owned there wasn’t any available anyway. Fuel mileage is hardly an arguable topic as there’s guys coming out of the woodwork getting 20-22mpg in a Hemi. I just wanted a truck with four wheel drive as I wanted to get back into hunting and fishing which I haven’t done either since before i joined the Army back in ‘01. So my Camry just wasn’t going to cut it anymore. I also have a ‘91 Eclipse GSX pushing 475/380, daily driver that gets 29 MPG. I just want to have a project on a V6 Ram. Something more than a CAI and a canned tune. My original plan was to not really do a lot to it but that plan went out the window. I’m a gear head, can’t help it. Hind sight being 20/20, I wish I’d have just waited a bit and got a V8.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are several companies that make a supercharger for the Pentastar..I think right now RIPP is the only one getting one together specifically for the Ram.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 755 h.p. barracuda fastback setting in the garage, that I drive occasionally, I`D LEAVE THE 3.6 ALONE ! If u want h.p. build a car !! JMO

·
Registered
789 Posts
the Ram 3.6 is a pretty well *optimized* package, so there's not too much room for *easy* improvement, which is actually good :)

examples:
1. 3.6 uses the same 3" exhaust system as the single exhaust 5.7 so there's PLENTY of flow already there;
2. the 'Y-pipe' on the 3.6 is a MUCH nicer design than the 5.7 crimped POS so a new Y-pipe or 'true duals' wouldn't add much Hp either
3. the 3.6 uses the same airbox and air filter as the 5.7 so plenty of flow there too; the factory design is a 'CAI' also..

a 'pedal commander' doesn't add any power at all.. just makes it *feel* more responsive.

that leaves 'tuners' as pretty much the only 'bolt-on' ;
or a true 'ram-air' would help at highway speeds ..

·
Registered
789 Posts
well there's Nitrous too !! ;)

·
Registered
708 Posts
A 4x4 Ram weighs 6,000 lbs. It's already kinda remarkable that a motor smaller than a slant six can move it at all. If you want better mpg, you probably need to relearn how you drive. Especially important, I think how fast you drive on the highway. Anything over 65 mph will cause mpg's to drop like a rock.When I had a 2005 hemi Ram, I spent a fortune on performance parts, cams, headers, cat delete, Vararam intake, nitrous, on and on. Still, with all the extra hp, mpg was never as good as stock. It would go through rear tires like nothing. Now I drive the 240 hp Ecodiesel and love it.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Maybe 6000lbs with a cab full of passengers and a small payload in a crew cab laramie or hihher trim with the 6.4' bed. Mine is much closer to 5000 lbs

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like you should have got the Hemi! The 3.6 is all about fuel economy and not so much performance. Does anybody even make a turbo kit/supercharger for the 3.6? I doubt it.

There are several Superchargers for the 3.6L V6

SPRINTEX SUPERCHARGER
Completely bolt-on
Self-contained oiling – no need for external oil lines
Fully integrated supercharger system
Estimated installation time of 6-8 hours
39% more power
41% more torque

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fella I have a 3.6 Grand Cherokee Limited with a $50 K&N Drop in and a Diablo DCX handheld tuner that I bought used for $130. I then got an Overkill 91 octane Tune for $99.

I don’t have dyno results or timeslips but it rips pretty good. Easily gained +20whp from my estimates. I had another pick up that I did take to the track that ran low 15’s and my GC could kill it off the line and on a highway run from 40-110 it could put 1+ car lengths on it.

I think hemifever does custom 3.6 tune files also.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts