DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I changed the tire size for my Tradesman to the stock 20" Ram tire size, but with aftermarket wheels and Michelin tires. I reprogrammed tire size with the Diablosport 87 octane tune. Using this tune and the larger tires, I noticed a slight increase in performance and have noticed no negatives. I am sure it would be a greater increase had I stayed with the 17" wheels and tires. My fuel mileage also seemed to stay about the same as stock. As long as I stay around 4-6 MPH above the speed limit, my fuel mileage stays around 20 in town and 23.5 on the highway. I figure my mileage with a calculator which is usually about 1 MPG less than shown on the dash.

I recently added a K&N CAI and have made one trip that was about 400 miles total. It is a very nice kit that installs easily and looks good on the truck. I will warn you that the K&N is VERY LOUD when you step on it. I mean rattle the dash loud like an old chevy with Quadrajet carburetor and breather top turned upside down loud. Normal driving there is a slight moan that gets louder the more you press the go pedal. At cruising speeds, there is a slight moan that increases as engine load increases and goes away when on flat ground or downhill. There is a definite increase in power and throttle response. From my recent trip, there seems to be an increase of .5 - 1 MPG which puts me in the neighborhood of 24 - 24.5 MPG on that trip. I will have to drive it more to see how the city driving is affected and to be sure the highway mileage holds up!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What gears u have in ur truck
Not sure I would want anything else unless towing a lot or racing. When it drops to 7th, the final drive ratio is about the same as 3.92's. With the low gear ratios in the transmission, I think it is the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what i have in my truck to. Did the programer make much difference
The programmer made a noticeable difference, but not going to burn the tires off! I am running the 87 octane tune. Their claim is around 10hp. The 93 octane tune (claim about 15hp) is a little more noticeable, but not enough for me to pay extra for gas.

I needed it originally because I changed tire size. I may not feel all the extra power because I did go from 17's to 20's at the same time. I can tell you that I've had it to about 120 since tuning.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thought I'd give an update. I removed the K&N CAI because it was just too loud and annoying. I could deal with it when riding alone, but it interfered with conversation when I had passengers or if I was on the phone. K&N refunded me through their 30 day satisfaction guarantee so I give them credit for standing behind their promise. I have driven the truck for about a week since removing and I notice a little less power in the mid range and WOT.
I have been reading about the air box mod so I tried it today. I used a 4" hole saw and cut the hole as close to the front inner corner of the air box as possible. I have attached a picture of the tubing I used. This tubing snaps perfectly into the 4" hole in the air box. I am planning to build a ram air by using the fog light holes since I don't have fog lights. For now, all I needed was a 4" hole saw, a few long wire ties, and the tubing to run it behind the bumper. I feel that most, if not all, of the power gain that I had with the K&N is back. As far as sound, I do not notice it at all until I really push it. It has slight moan at WOT.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've seen some folks do this and make the "Scoop" in the plastic housing next to the active shutters in the grille. Thought about trying this myself.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've seen some folks do this and make the "Scoop" in the plastic housing next to the active shutters in the grille. Thought about trying this myself.
Did they cut the plastic housing or just run the tube next to the radiator where there is an opening?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Did they cut the plastic housing or just run the tube next to the radiator where there is an opening?
I believe they cut the plastic. There is a right up on the no "z" ram forum. THis forum won't allow a link to another to be posted, but try googling "Ram Airbox Intake Tube Mod".

·
Registered
103 Posts
I changed the tire size for my Tradesman to the stock 20" Ram tire size, but with aftermarket wheels and Michelin tires. I reprogrammed tire size with the Diablosport 87 octane tune. Using this tune and the larger tires, I noticed a slight increase in performance and have noticed no negatives. I am sure it would be a greater increase had I stayed with the 17" wheels and tires. My fuel mileage also seemed to stay about the
same as stock. As long as I stay around 4-6 MPH above the speed limit, my fuel mileage stays around 20 in town and 23.5 on the highway. I figure my mileage with a calculator which is usually about 1 MPG less than shown on the dash.

I recently added a K&N CAI and have made one trip that was about 400 miles total. It is a very nice kit that installs easily and looks good on the truck. I will warn you that the K&N is VERY LOUD when you step on it. I mean rattle the dash loud like an old chevy with Quadrajet carburetor and breather top turned upside down loud. Normal driving there is a slight moan that gets louder the more you press the go pedal. At cruising speeds, there is a slight moan that increases as engine load increases and goes away when on flat ground or downhill. There is a definite increase in power and throttle response. From my recent trip, there seems to be an increase of .5 - 1 MPG which puts me in the neighborhood of 24 - 24.5 MPG on that trip. I will have to drive it more to see how the city driving is affected and to be sure the highway mileage holds up!

Did u need to do any modify before installing the tune on your pemtastar ?? I heard somewhere on youtube that we need to send the ECU to dodge to get it unlocked ??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Been a while since anyone responded to this, and I’m not against reviving old posts instead of starting a new one. To answer your question, 2015+ ECU will need to be sent in to be unlocked. I lucked out and have a 2014 3.6.

To add to the OP’s original post, I also have a Tradesman. Came stock with 265/70/17. I was averaging 22-23mpg on the interstate at 70mph (calculated with Gas Buddy, 87 octane). I bought a set of 20” wheels from a 2008 1500, 9” wide if I remember correctly. Found a used set of Nitto Terra Grappler G2 in a 285/55/20. Fuel mileage went down to about 19-20mpg according to multiple identical runs, again calculated by Gas Buddy.

I’m currently running Toyo Open Country R/T in a 285/60/20. Brought my mileage down to 16-17. Once I installed my Intune i3, it brought my mileage up to 18-19 consistently. This is more than likely simply from correcting speedometer in relation to tire size, and not so much from the 87oct tune that I loaded, along with 10% throttle boost. (I have not verified this through a mileage calculator, and for this tank alone and I using numbers from dash. I will have updated numbers at the end of this tank.)

Currently contemplating reinstalling OEM tune and finding out if there was any MPG gains to be had by tune alone. Mods, if you feel this should be moved to a separate post, feel free to do. I’m contemplating doing a separate review based on recalibrated tire size with OEM tune, and also with 87 octane tune. I will be installing new plugs and RIPP coils this coming week, new plugs as well, so I’m not sure if there’s any MPG increase or how to factor it in by coils since I will also be doing a plug change. At least there will be a heads up for those replacing both.
Sorry for the essay.

-Eddie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts