DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys im tryin to find an answer for my father in-law he has a 04 dodge with the 3.7L and the oil pressure will randomly drop oil pressure while driving it doesnt seem to matter weather its under load or not sometimes hes just coasting down a hill hes tried having the oil and filter changed along with having the system flushed what might be the problem im thinking its the oil pump going bad. also when he strates it it will knock really bad for a few seconds then its fine till the pressure starts to drop it only seems to drop after the engine gets to normal operating temp any help will be greatly appreatated p.s, i cant spell lol

·
Registered
95 Posts
So when the pressure drops is he seeing any symptoms other than warning lights and the needle on the gauge dropping? It could be a bad oil pressure sending unit. It could also be the pressure switch in the oil pump, the pump itself like you mentioned, or a clogged pickup screen. Has he kept up w/ the oil changes on the truck? If it's sludged up I've read that Kreen engine cleaner is supposed to be one of the best out there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hes had the engine flushed twice since it started messing up all oil changes have been done on time every time if it was just the sendiing unit would it cause it to knock and rattle like it does when the pressure drops

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
my friend blew a rod in his 2004 Ram w/ a 3.7L
he bought a 2009 3.7L out of a rolled Jeep

He put his old intake manifold on the 2009 engine, switched around some sensors & it was good to go

he had a standard shift & a good body & chassis & didn't want to buy a newer Ram

·
Registered
95 Posts
hes had the engine flushed twice since it started messing up all oil changes have been done on time every time if it was just the sendiing unit would it cause it to knock and rattle like it does when the pressure drops
I don't think so, have you gotten out of the truck and tried to see where the knock was coming from on the motor? It only knocks when cold or the pressure drops? You may just have to drop the oil pan and see if the pickup is clogged. If you google "dodge or jeep 3.7 knock" there is a lot of info, some people had problems w/ rocker arms though that would cause a constant knock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it will knock 4 a couple seconds on fire up then only when the pressure drops and thats just a random thing cant pin point one thing that makes it happen you know like going up hill or under load its completely random

1 - 7 of 7 Posts