DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 4x4 Laramie with 3.92 gears, crew cab, air suspension, sun roof, 20' rims, 32 gallon tank... etc. I am getting only 13.9 to 14.5 mpg! My truck has about 2500 miles and the MPG since new is 14.5. Every time I fill up I reset my trip 2 counter and get about 400 miles out of a 28 gallon fill up. I will admit... I have a bit of a heavy foot (75 to 85 miles per hour on the freeway and 5 miles above speed limit around town), but I have read others here drive the same way and get anywhere from 17 to 21mpg. I have even drove the speed limit and no hard accelerations on one full tank and still got only 14.5 mpg.

Is there a problem with my truck?
Does anyone else have a similar experience/mpg issue?
And will 35" tires remedy this mpg problem?
(I know the last question does not sound logical, but I got 3.92 gears because I knew I was going to eventually lift it, and read that 3.92 gears with 35" tires would make it like stock with 3.30 gears)

Any and all input with experience would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'd suggest that with the big Hemi and those speeds, you're doing OK. The 6.4 is not built for economy, and even if it had cylinder deactivation, it won't suddenly turn that engine into a fuel sipper.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sounds about right to me. My 4.7L 1500 with 3.92 gears would average 15mpg. towing would drop me a few mpg's.

Keep it below 75 and your MPG's will go up.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Is it me or is his engine size a typo error for a 1500 Laramie? I could swear that the 6.4L Hemi is available only in the 3/4 or 1 Ton Rams. Something smells trolley.....

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Well if Kahn does have the 3/4 ton Laramie with the 6.4L, I'd have to say that 14.5 mpg's is damn good for that big Hemi! Hell! The Ford Craptor barely gets 10 mpg's with their 6.0L!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
i'm not setting any records either...those numbers are about what i'm getting

·
Registered
205 Posts
From his NEWB thread he must have selected the 6.4 accidentally

Hi everyone,
Glad to have found this site. I live in Visalia, California and just bought a 2014 Ram Laramie 1500 4x4. I have it fully loaded (leather, navigation, sun roof, heated/air cooled seats, etc etc.), and unfortunately got the air ride suspension option too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually... I only have the 5.7. So I am not sure why it says 6.4 in my profile. Like rail90 said, I must have clicked the wrong button.

Joe Kool, ran a whole tank doing the speed limit with no hard accelerations and still got only 14.5.

Thanks Dr Honda, Sportsguy, and everyone else for the reply.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have the exact same truck minus the air suspension. I have 1,700 miles now and I'm getting around 17mpg, but if I go over 65mph the mileage drops to what you're seeing. At 80mph the rpms and wind resistance are killers. Slow down and see a big improvement.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Something's not right. I as originally thinking you had lifted and put 35" tires on already. If that were the case your mileage would be about average.

Stock you should be doing better.
Are you running mid grade?

Are you in a cold climate with crappy winter gas?

I have the same truck minus air suspension and the lowest I've seen was 14 mpg when I took delivery with 11 miles on the Odo.

My lifetime mileage today is high 16's. Interstate at 75 I'm seeing 19 mpg. With a sting headwind I'm still gittjng 17 on the interstate at 75.

Cruise seems to help a good deal with my truck and I also disable the mds every time I get in by manually selecting 8th gear. Seems to do better.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Seems right. My 12 Express didn't have the eight spd tranny but had the 3.55 rear and my average was always between 13-14.5 combined.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have a 2014 4x4 Laramie with 3.92 gears, crew cab, air suspension, sun roof, 20' rims, 32 gallon tank... etc. I am getting only 13.9 to 14.5 mpg! My truck has about 2500 miles and the MPG since new is 14.5. Every time I fill up I reset my trip 2 counter and get about 400 miles out of a 28 gallon fill up. I will admit... I have a bit of a heavy foot (75 to 85 miles per hour on the freeway and 5 miles above speed limit around town), but I have read others here drive the same way and get anywhere from 17 to 21mpg. I have even drove the speed limit and no hard accelerations on one full tank and still got only 14.5 mpg.

Is there a problem with my truck?
Does anyone else have a similar experience/mpg issue?
And will 35" tires remedy this mpg problem?
(I know the last question does not sound logical, but I got 3.92 gears because I knew I was going to eventually lift it, and read that 3.92 gears with 35" tires would make it like stock with 3.30 gears)

Any and all input with experience would be appreciated. Thank you
If you're travelling at 75-85 mph I'd say you're doing pretty good to get 14.5 mpg. Slow down and it'll do much better!

The 60-65 mph barrier, once you cross it mileage is out the window!

Need to remember when they say 28 or 29 on the window sticker (whatever it says) they are testing the truck at I think 50 or 55 mph in a lab without wind or hills.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a 13 Express RCSB with 5.7 and 3.92 gears. After 4500 miles it got a little better. Didn't buy it for the gas milage. I bought it to pull my boat which it does with no problems.

·
Registered
464 Posts
2012 Hemi 5.7, 3.92 LSD. 19+ mpg at 75 mph with a strong tailwind. :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Your readout is within reason. My CC 4x4 w/ 3.92 gears is averaging 18.8 Highway and inside city limits around town drops anywhere between 12-14 mpg. I don't use the display readout I calculate each fuel up beside the EVIC lies.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have the same truck with standard gas tank and I'm getting on avg 20 MPG. Perhaps Summer driving will yield better fuel mileage. I know staying under 80 mph makes a significant difference on MPG. I unfortunately are not getting better mileage with stock tires over my 18" winter tire package. The stock tires and rims are much heavier than my 18" winter package and is probably the reason for no MPG gain even though it's warmer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have that exact same truck and gear. I average 17mpg and always run 10 over the speed limit. I even think that 17mpg sucks. I purchased it from the dealer telling me they see 21mpg on the highway. I just added 34.8" tires and it hasn't changed it, in fact in town I think it might have gotten worse. A buddy of mine has the 3.23 with 35" rubber and swears he averages 19mpg with about the same 50/50 highway city that I run. But I'm sure the 3.92 gears would pull his truck in half. I pull a large boat and enclosed trailer at times and this thing pulls very well compared to the GMC and F150 I had. But his 3.23 hooked to my boat is sad, it shifts up and down the whole time. So I guess there is a price for pulling power, in this case MPG. Good Luck

1 - 20 of 66 Posts