DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I have gone through 3 water pumps in about 1 1/2 months. I have changed the fan clutch as that was the first culprit. I noticed that when I push on the serpentine belt I can move the belt tensioner about 1-2 inches. Should this happen? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Hi, I don't have an answer so, it's time to .........:icon_bump:........... this back to the top!

Also it's time to give you a great big welcome!

Hi and a warm Carolina welcome to the best RAM ForumZ on the web. How about posting a few photos of your truck? I've got a link in my SIG that will take you to the Newbie Checkin to say hello and introduce yourself with a few photos of the truck! And join us in the Red RAM group too!:Hey:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody, please!!! When I start the truck it sounds like the belt is "slapping" as it goes around. Anybody else have this??

·
Registered
220 Posts
water pump

If you have the belt strung like the picture says, then you may have a stretched belt, In which case calls for a new one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds to me like a belt alignment problem, maybe a bad tensioner or idler pulley.

Try this- remove the belt and spin each pulley (including the alternator, P/S pump, any tensioners and idlers, etc.) by hand- do any of them feel "rough?" Now try to move each pulley laterally (perpendicular to the belt)- is there any play? If any pulley feels rough or has sideways play, it should be replaced. If the tensioner doesn't move so that it always stays in the plane of the belt, it should be replaced.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts