DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a local Magnaflow dealer (Seeburg) yesterday to inquire about muffler types. Told him I wanted it slightly louder than stock but wanted to keep cabin drone down. I have been considering the 18" or the 24" and figured he would recommend one of those. Instead, he highly recommended the big 30" and said there was no need to change the "Y" either. He did not feel the "Y" upgrade would improve air flow vs. the stock setup.

Seems I have read almost the exact opposite on this forum. Based on what others on the Z have done, it seems he was way off base. I have also searched YouTube and it does not appear there are too many folks going with a 30". Any thoughts?

E

·
0 Posts
I really don't know, bud. A couple of things came to mind when I read this but without having several sizes of their mufflers here, for a real test, I don't think this can be definitively answered.

Understand that the stock muffler can is large, has a lot of baffles and some fill, usually steel wool. Coupled with a resonator, they are very quiet.

Now it's accepted that with fewer baffles, a different internal design and less fill, a muffler will be louder. Hence, coupled with design differences, a shorter case will be louder as you can't get as many baffles or fill in an 18" case as you can in a 24" or 30" case.

It just seems to me that the 30" Magnaflow will be louder than the stock unit due to it's baffle design, however, how much louder is the question and that would be hard to determine unless you had trucks with different sized units sitting side by side for a comparison.

I understand the dilemma but no definitive answer comes to mind.

How's that for equivocation? LOLOLOL

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I am leaning toward the 18". Have not decided yet on Magnaflow (have it installed) vs. Mufflex (do it myself). I hear they are pretty much the same muffler.

What about the Y though? I want to make sure I do it right to get the most out of the K&N CAI that I ordered. Would like to put both on at the same time.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Don't do the 30" you will regret that....go with the 14" it sounds good and no drone or cabin noise...unless you want to make it scream!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just finished reading the incredibly long sticky thread on CAI reviews and now thinking about sending the K&N back (it was an impulse buy when Amazon put it on sale) and going with a Volant. That will buy me a little more time to figure out the proper exhaust modification. Back to square one but hey, no hurries, no worries.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I went with the 18" and couldn't be happier. I was looking for a deeper tone that wouldnt be to loud. I just replaced the the muffler and left everything else stock. IMO it was a nice upgrade without going over board. I don't know how much louder the 14 would be but I am sure it sounds pretty nice. The magnaflows seem to really compliment the Hemi. Good luck with your choice

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Just finished reading the incredibly long sticky thread on CAI reviews and now thinking about sending the K&N back (it was an impulse buy when Amazon put it on sale) and going with a Volant. That will buy me a little more time to figure out the proper exhaust modification. Back to square one but hey, no hurries, no worries.
Don't make another mistake by buying the Volant. IMO, there are major fitment issues with the fenderwell tube not meeting the fenderwell leaving a huge gap on the 4th gens. That's why I'm going with Airaid.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went with the 18" and couldn't be happier. I was looking for a deeper tone that wouldnt be to loud. I just replaced the the muffler and left everything else stock. IMO it was a nice upgrade without going over board. I don't know how much louder the 14 would be but I am sure it sounds pretty nice. The magnaflows seem to really compliment the Hemi. Good luck with your choice
Thanks Ray. Always comforting to know someone else has gone before you and had good results. I am definitely leaning towards the 18" at this point.

Don't make another mistake by buying the Volant. IMO, there are major fitment issues with the fenderwell tube not meeting the fenderwell leaving a huge gap on the 4th gens. That's why I'm going with Airaid.
Juice420 - Thanks for the feedback. Had not heard that about the gap but will definitely check into it before making a decision. Do you have a link to any threads that covered that topic? I will look into the Airaid as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts