DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just got a 1988 d150 with a 1981 engine and chassie and the engines not working i thought the timing chain had broken so ripped it dowe and the chains fine so i started testing the pistons with a screwdriver and the #6 piston only moves alittle so i dont know if its the king pin on just a bearing but im thinking of getting a new to me 318 and a new to me tranny .... what would you guys do oh also the trucks been a pit truck

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Long block is about 500lb, more with accessory items like alternator and power steering pump. Also, ain't no way you have a 318 bored out to a 340. As for the problem, sounds major...con rod or associated hardware.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks gen1dak i was sectical about it being bored out to a 340 but the guy who owned it befor the guy i got if from told me that is what he was told and i told him the 318 couldn't be bored out that much because it would compromise the cylinder wall and he then told me that the block had been changed so im not sure what to believe and since this is my first dodge and my first truck that needs major engine work im not sure what to do

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
I'd say that if you were serious about the engine...start fresh with a short block.

If there's something worth saving off the old block it gives you room to save money. Since you're obviously going to have to tear it down anyway, why not start fresh with something you know is good. Even if you can find a junk yard motor that runs. At least you know what you're starting with.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Sounds like a broken connecting rod most likely.

Depending on what you want to spend, you could rebuild the 318, buy a new(used) 318, or do some other engine swap. Personally, I'd swap in a newer engine like a hemi or 2008+ 4.7L.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You can take a 318 out to 4.0 bore (340 is 4.04) but if they did that, the walls are going to be pretty thin and since most people aren't going to pony up the $$$ to have it sonic tested, I'd also suspect the POs claims. Just for giggles, you did try moving the #6 piston with the crank out, correct? Like the others have said, I'd salvage as much as I can off the motor and start with a new short block.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
As stated, it's not possible with a 318 block to bore to a 4.04" bore of a 340. At max, with sonic testing and a 1975 or earlier block, you can sometimes get away with 90-over. Add a stroker kit like this one:
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...ng_your_318_stroker_crate_engine/viewall.html
and you get a 402. However, as long as 360 cores are out there, why do that? The 360 already has a 4.00" bore. Anyway, salvage what you can and go from there.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'd look for a 360 in the junkyard myself. Longer stroke, more torque.

·
Registered
243 Posts
What Snoopy said.. 360 is the perfect swap for the 318.. don't know your budget but from the year of your truck you could get a 360 pretty cheep because your npot looking for FI.
Exactly what I was thinking. Don't even need a truck engine and it opens up a variety of options. Check out old full-sized sedans like a Polara or Fury, they will most likely be less hammered on and a good place to find a block. Back then you would probably find a 904 behind a 360, not a bad tranny but if you could find a 727 that would be my first choice. Where it's a D150, you don't need to worry about transfer case compatibility.

·
Registered
243 Posts
And remember, if you go with a 360, the 318 crank is different (shorter stroke, larger journals) so you can't reuse the one from your dead motor, same with the old pan. Also the 360 is externally balanced so get the flywheel and torque converter for it. there might be other differences that some will chime in on.

·
Registered
754 Posts
One more question.. is this a 2WD truck or a 4X4? here is your one rub when it comes to the tranny.. if you can find a 360/727 combo.. best choice by far.. and btw while you are looking try to find an E-58 version if at all possible.. but anyway if you are 4x4 then you will need will need to stick with the 904 to make sure you distance to the transfer case stays the same.

·
Registered
243 Posts
he said a D150 so I assume 2x4, a 4x4 should be a W150. i think a 727 might be longer than a 904...

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
318 and 340 have same stroke and journal size, 360 has longer stroke and larger journals.
904's weren't used in 4WD models. Unless you're building a hot street engine, or are planning heavy towing stick with the trans model you have now, which could be a 904 or derivative like 998. They are shorter than the 727 so keep that in mind is you swap transmission models one way or the other.
Flexplates are the same. 360 torque converters have balance weights, 318's don't, but the proper weight can be added. Don't use Magnum setup in 360 due to difference in balance weight between 360LA and 360 Magnum. 318's are neutral balance and will interchange between LA and Magnums.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i found a 318 in a 88 chrysler fifth avenue they come with a 727 auto or a 904 auto could any one tell me witch was more common or witch one i should hope it has i have no idea what the truck has and cant tell since im about an hour away from the truck and cant make it down to check it till saturday

·
Registered
243 Posts
So basically you have a W150 then, 4x4 correct? That 88 318 is TBI, correct? Your truck is carbed? It should bolt in but you are going to have to swap over your carb, ignition, etc. Keep your transmission as Gen1dak said. For one, a car transmission is going to have completely different shift points than for a truck. Two, it probably won't bolt up to your transfer case and three, it won't be any stronger than the one you have.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts