DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, I needed to know if the magnum engines (318, 360) will swap into a 1987 Dodge Ram W150 that has a 318? And if so, what should I expect in the way of new parts and other things to make it work? Thanks in advance for replies.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I think that yes they will but I don't know the details. The electronics is the complicated part. I know at one time someone made a stand alone computer for them. This was a setup to bolt it into older cars. Wish I could tell you more.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Magnum blocks are used as replacement blocks for older LA's. Put a carb intake for Magnum block and carb on it and it's a cake walk. Swap out the accessory drives. Pretty basic swap.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Ok, I've got a similar, yet different question. I'm looking at replacing an '89 FI 318 with an '84 carb'd 360. I'm hoping to be able to use the intake and throttle body set up off the 318 on the older motor, but I'm getting conflicting reports as to whether or not everything will bolt together. Is there that much of a difference in head designs?

My grandpa is somewhat hard of hearing, and was driving his '89 3/4 ton fire truck around with a busted oil pump because he couldn't hear the lifters clacking and just figured his gauge had a short (I explained to him later it was a mechanical gauge :p) Anyway, it still runs, but its blowing coolant out the exhaust and sounds like an old two stroke diesel, so I'm thinking I'd be time and money ahead to just do a motor swap. I have two 360's laying around, one is a '77 and the one I'm planning to use is the '84. It's also out of a 4-spd 3/4 ton like the '89 fire truck, so I'm thinking everything should bolt right up, I just don't know about the intake swap. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
It'll all bolt up, but, unlike the MAgnum 318/360, the 360LA had larger ports and bigger valves than the 318 LA. So, it'll swap, but you'll have an anemic 360 above 3,000rpm. The 360 will be choked down. The 318LA throttle body is also smaller than the one for the 360LA. And since the FI is pretty rigid in programming, the 318LA setup will probably also run lean pretty easily on a 360.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
So I'd need to source a FI intake and throttle body for a 360 at the very least. Ok, I was figuring it'd be lean with the 318 setup, but I also figured since all his tucks live life below 2800 rpm it wouldn't be too much of an issue for now. As long as it'll bolt up, I can find correct parts later, i just need to get his truck up and running at least.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
carb intake

Magnum blocks are used as replacement blocks for older LA's. Put a carb intake for Magnum block and carb on it and it's a cake walk. Swap out the accessory drives. Pretty basic swap.
So, they make an carb intake for the magnum engines?? And that's all I will need (besides the swapping of accessories)? Thanks

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yeah they do. Summit jegs all of them. It has become more popular to swap in magnum in place of LA. more available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts