DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,

So I have a 1982 Dodge D150 with a stock 318 on it. I replaced the 2BBL intake with a 4BBL Edelbrock performer and then I put a 600 CFM Edelbrock Carb on it. I can tell it is running rich now because I can smell fuel and it is bogging down pretty hard. I had the timing tuned and the vacuum lines set to where they're supposed to be(there is a chance that these are wrong, the guy who did them seemed to not be very knowledgeable working with this truck). I've adjusted the carb about as lean as I can make it go. The engine sounds great idling and runs pretty smooth once it gets up to speed. The major problem I'm having is that at around the 15 MPH mark it bogs down and you have to feather the gas up until it gets to around 20 MPH. I was wondering what this problem could be and the best way to go about fixing it. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have an exhaust leak on one of the headers and Glass Packs on the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
When you say you have adjusted the carburetor, does that include changing the metering rods? A stock-cammed '82 318 with headers is like Clark Kent wearing a bright bowling shirt. No matter how you look at it, it's still very mild. You have an engine that has a stock carb that's barely more than 200 cfm, now you've put a 600 on it. The headers help lean things out a little, but the low compression and tiny cam just won't handle much. Short of a jetting change, the Edelbrock carbs have metering rods that allow tuning within a given set of jets. Edelbrock offers a kit with multiple metering rod pairs, springs, and also jets to tune the carb over a wide range of setups. They also offer an extensive guide on doing this. Basically, I'd start with the leanest set of rods and tweak from there, but you'd probably be good with that set. Possibly moving a step or two on the springs as well to delay the rods stepping up to a richer profile til the engine is running higher rpms.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Probably needs smaller jets. I put a Holley 750 double pumper on my 1970 Camaro SS. The jets were lowered 3 sizes and that still was not enough. It had headers and a cam. It went from a 600 Holley to the 750. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Edelbrock carbs.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Amazing. You admit you know nothing about the design, then offer suggestions that cloud the issue. As I said, the metering rods are used to tune within a given setup, with a given set of jets. You will only need to change jets if they are too far off to be tuned with the metering rods. In that the carbs are set up, in general, for a stock smallblock V8, the jets should be fine. The metering rods will lean things out, and take all of 2 minutes to change, and do not require disassembly of the carb. The Edelbrock website has a guide as to how to adjust. Go there, click the techCenter tab along the top of the page. Any page within that section will have a button to download the Carburetor owners manual. It has a nice guide on how to tweak the carb as you are needing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts