DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I swap my fuel injected v6 for a carbureted 318 and make the 318 fuel injected. the truck is a 1988 ram 5spd

·
Registered
881 Posts
88 is throttle body injection, Not much better than a carb. Can be made to work if you swap over everything you need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an 87 d150 that that has the 318 that I want to use. So it sounds like what I need is throttle bodies and intake and wireing harness from a fuel injected 318. What year did they start putting fuel injected 318 in the rams? where can I buy the parts that I need?

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I have an 87 d150 that that has the 318 that I want to use. So it sounds like what I need is throttle bodies and intake and wireing harness from a fuel injected 318. What year did they start putting fuel injected 318 in the rams? where can I buy the parts that I need?
You want a LA318 or a magnum? There is a difference.....

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Actually, the V6 and 318 used the same TBI. Same TBI uses the same computer. The 360 had a bigger TBI and different computer. Basically, you need the 318 TBI intake manifold or any 4V intake and an adapter like this:
http://www.steigerperformance.com/products/sp01014.html
Take the V6 distributor, swap on the V8 cap, get a couple more plug wires. You will need the V8 exhaust manifolds. Both engines are zero balance, so the 318 will bolt up without any external balance weight like the 360 needs. One thing you will need to do to the 318 is get the pilot bushing installed in the crank for the manual transmission. eBay, local U-pull yards, and Rock Auto.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, the V6 and 318 used the same TBI. Same TBI uses the same computer. The 360 had a bigger TBI and different computer. Basically, you need the 318 TBI intake manifold or any 4V intake and an adapter like this:
http://www.steigerperformance.com/products/sp01014.html
Take the V6 distributor, swap on the V8 cap, get a couple more plug wires. You will need the V8 exhaust manifolds. Both engines are zero balance, so the 318 will bolt up without any external balance weight like the 360 needs. One thing you will need to do to the 318 is get the pilot bushing installed in the crank for the manual transmission. eBay, local U-pull yards, and Rock Auto.

Thanks for the info, Really appreciate it, Iam assuming I would need need to use the motor mounts for the 318 and maybe the rad

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hmmmm. Not sure on the engine mount issue. Just gonna have to eyeball that one. I would think there's some difference due to the spacing. On the radiator, probably the same. When Dodge did the '89 Shelby Dakota, they used the V6 Dakota Sport, dropped in the 318 V8, but it had the V6 radiator. That one I know for a fact as I own one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts