DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if anyone has posted anything about this issue. I searched for any issue with the Evap Canister hose and found nothing. Therefore, I decided to post a" how to" on the issue. The issue is with a 6" rubber hose that runs from the evap canister to a plastic hose that goes to the purge solenoid. The rubber hose has a 90 degree angle in it that over time cracks. As you can see in the pictures, I wrapped mine with duct tape just to make sure that replacing the part would solve my CEL issue. Also, I swapped out the original Dodge two-way attachment for a t-adapter to prevent further issues. You will notice that I used an old hose for one part, that is because the hose I purchased was too large, so I will fix that tomorrow or later this week. The hose sizes I purchased are as follows:
1/4"
5/8"
3/16"
3/8"

To remove the canister- there are four screws. It requires a 13mm socket with an extension. There are two on the rear portion, one towards the front, and one on top. Once you take it down, it is extremely simple to replace the parts.
The 1/4" hose is the one that simply goes from the front portion of the canister to the rear portion. The 5/8" is the hose that caused the issue. The 3/16" hose goes from the t- adapter to is prescribed places. Also, I used the 3/8" hose to go from the bottom of the t-adapter to the actual canister.

Explanation of the duct tape on my new hose. First, the 5/8" rubber hose I purchase is actually much thicker than the Dodge part. Second, I added the duct tape to add a little support and to attempt to keep it from kinking. I think a better option would be to find an elbow that you can match up to it. However, there is not much clearance above the canister. I wasn't sure if I would have enough room for the elbow, so I simply did it the same way dodge did. If you have anything to add or a suggestion to help me with my truck- let me know. I am open to ideas and any type of help. I am in no way a mechanic/technician... simply a hobbyist.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, the hose I purchased that was too large was I tried to use the 3/8" where I should have used the 3/16"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great post....this helps out a lot, I just got codes PO442 & PO455: small and large EVAP leak. i couldn't find anything suspicious in the engine bay, I have a 2001 Ram 1500 with low mileage and everything appears good....no cracks or ripped hoses, so, now I know what to look for under the pick-up. thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts