DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Ram 3500 Van, took it to get inspected and it failed because the frame is in very bad shape rustwise. Not sure which way to go with the van- Would it make sense to try to swap for another frame? repair the frame as-is now...? I've done a small amount of welding in the past. What's involved, and what really makes sense? I don't need to actually drive the vehicle for another 6 months. Let me know what you think.
Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is it rusted through, or just rusty? If its rusted through in spots, try welding some plates into the frame...if its just rusty, get a few cans of rubberized undercoating and spray it down and have it reinspected...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rusted frames

All of you that have a problem should contact Chrysler and complain of the problem...a vehicle should last longer then these are and the frames should last a lot longer.
Chrysler should stand up behind their product and a recall should be within reason especially were a lot of these vehicles have less than 100,000 miles on them and the modified life expec. is now 114,000 miles (and that is because all of the frames are prematurely rotting out.
This group along with other owners have more than enough people for a class action suit on the company and that should be no problem for each one of our states Att. Generals.
In closing I would like to say that in the 80's Plymouth and Dodge had a bad rash of recalls with the Volare and Aspens on a rust issue and that was a bad financial problem for Chrysler but it was taken care of. This matter is far worse, safety wise and needs to be addressed. Even though I like Chrysler this, again, needs to be addressed..thank you.

·
Registered
688 Posts
All of you that have a problem should contact Chrysler and complain of the problem...a vehicle should last longer then these are and the frames should last a lot longer.
Chrysler should stand up behind their product and a recall should be within reason especially were a lot of these vehicles have less than 100,000 miles on them and the modified life expec. is now 114,000 miles (and that is because all of the frames are prematurely rotting out.
This group along with other owners have more than enough people for a class action suit on the company and that should be no problem for each one of our states Att. Generals.
In closing I would like to say that in the 80's Plymouth and Dodge had a bad rash of recalls with the Volare and Aspens on a rust issue and that was a bad financial problem for Chrysler but it was taken care of. This matter is far worse, safety wise and needs to be addressed. Even though I like Chrysler this, again, needs to be addressed..thank you.
Van is 17 YO so I'd guess the corrosion warranties and liabilities are a bit in the rear view mirror.

IIWM, I'd ask the inspection folks why it failed, beyond just "It's Rusted", and see what they recommend to fix it.

If it's a bad section of the frame and welding in metal will solve it then go for it. If they say the frame is totally unsafe, then that's another issue only you can answer based on cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts