DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 35s on my Hemi Mega Cab 4x4 and found some used 37s and I was wondering if they would be to big for 3.73 gears. don't want tranny problems. I was just wanting some openions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I think they are 3.73s
I think thats what the windower sticker says and its a 2007.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well I think they are 3.73s
I think thats what the windower sticker says and its a 2007.
Hey Smith, you got any pics of your truck with 35's on it? Reason Im askin, is that I have a 2012 2500 Crew 4x4 and having trouble deciding on 35's or 37's.
If I do 37s, im goin with a 6 inch lift, with 35's going with a 4.5 Icon lift. Just dont want the 35's to look too small. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Smith, you got any pics of your truck with 35's on it? Reason Im askin, is that I have a 2012 2500 Crew 4x4 and having trouble deciding on 35's or 37's.
If I do 37s, im goin with a 6 inch lift, with 35's going with a 4.5 Icon lift. Just dont want the 35's to look too small. Thanks

Here is my 2500 on 37's.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only pics I have are real small for some reason (taken with phone) I will thy to take some new ones and post them. My truck just has leveling kit fight now. Going to be getting a lift in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
your truck will be fine with the 3.73 and 37s. you will loose some power though. not sure how you do the math, but you may feel like you are driving 3.21 gear ration though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have 3.92 gears on 37's, but thinking of going to 35's or 315/70'S. Why are the 315/70's cheaper then 35's if there almost identical?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, we have one person that says don't and one that do it. Let's hear some more opinions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm running 37"s right now. Going from 35"s havent noticed a huge difference around town. But towing theres a big difference. Just towed a buddy's crawler up into the mountains yesterday and after that it convinced me to gear my truck.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The difference between 3.73 and 3.92 is so small that you wouldnt notice a difference, except maybe towing like mentioned above. But if you dont do alot of HEAVY towing, your not going to notice a difference.

What a lot of people fail to understand is the higher the number the lower the gear. Its like this, 3:73 to 1 gear, the driveshaft turns 3.73 times to turn the axle one time. 3:92 to 1 gear, the driveshaft now has to turn 3.92 times to turn the axle one time. Meaning, the difference from 3.73 to 3.92 to 4.10 is so small that it wont hurt your tranny. Its such a small difference between the 3 ratios

And if your concerned about your Gas mileage, going to bigger tires is gonna hurt no matter what differential you run. But, if your like me, Hemi, Getting 6 inch lift with 37s, gas mileage is not really going to hurt your wallet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The difference between 3.73 and 3.92 is so small that you wouldnt notice a difference, except maybe towing like mentioned above. But if you dont do alot of HEAVY towing, your not going to notice a difference.

What a lot of people fail to understand is the higher the number the lower the gear. Its like this, 3:73 to 1 gear, the driveshaft turns 3.73 times to turn the axle one time. 3:92 to 1 gear, the driveshaft now has to turn 3.92 times to turn the axle one time. Meaning, the difference from 3.73 to 3.92 to 4.10 is so small that it wont hurt your tranny. Its such a small difference between the 3 ratios

And if your concerned about your Gas mileage, going to bigger tires is gonna hurt no matter what differential you run. But, if your like me, Hemi, Getting 6 inch lift with 37s, gas mileage is not really going to hurt your wallet.
I know how the ratios work(best way I have ever seen or heard it explained). I just wasn't sure what kind of effect it would have on the trans with the weight and size of 37s over stock.
I do use the truck for towing quite a bit but if I got a programmer and 37s and it felt about like it does now that would be fine.
I haul my grandfathers 42' bumper pull camper for him sometimes and it does fine. I dont think I will ever be hauling more than 12000 to 15000 lbs and it handles that just fine right now.

·
Registered
97 Posts

I know how the ratios work(best way I have ever seen or heard it explained). I just wasn't sure what kind of effect it would have on the trans with the weight and size of 37s over stock.
I do use the truck for towing quite a bit but if I got a programmer and 37s and it felt about like it does now that would be fine.
I haul my grandfathers 42' bumper pull camper for him sometimes and it does fine. I dont think I will ever be hauling more than 12000 to 15000 lbs and it handles that just fine right now.
If I was in your boots and hauled a 42 foot camper, I would Def go up in Ratio. I would probably go to a 4.56. That would ensure that you didnt hurt the tranny and you would have more low end to pull the Camper. A 4.56 isnt a BIG change, but it will help towing that camper.

·
Registered
97 Posts
CountryD, I'm going to gear my truck here pretty soon. I have a 6" lift on 37"s. What gear ratio do you think I should run?
Not trying to tell you what to do. But, when I do the 6 inch lift with 37s, Im going to a 4.10. Just because, I will be hauling my Harley in a enclosed trailer, and want just a tad more lower end. Like I said in earlier post, the Difference between the 3 ratios is small, but for my piece of mind, Im going with a 4.10. Just to be safe. Hope this helps fellas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts