DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the tires mounted on my stock 20x9 wheels. They definitely make the truck look mean. Noticeable tire noise above 70mph, but not significant and the radio on about 15 volume can overpower it. If you are worried about the noise, don't be, just buy these, I already received 3 compliments this past weekend from random people which is always nice. After a week, you won't even notice the slight whir over the stock tires. I drive 75%/25% highway/city and I did lose about 2-3 mpg as I was at 17-18 where I am now at 14.5. No regrets. Still haven't broken them loose, even in the rain the other day. Currently running 50psi in the fronts and 46 psi in the rear @ 68 degrees cold.

Specs:
I have Bilstein 5100s on the front set @ 2.1. Tires are Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T 35x11.5. They fit perfectly with no rub and no spacers. I probably have about 1/4" on the inside at the upper control arms at full lock.

Before and After Measurements (Stock rake of 2-5/8"):

Final Approximate Lift - 3" Front / 1" Rear

Fender Before
DF 36-3/4" PF 36-3/8"
DR 39-3/8" PR 39"

Running Boards Before
DF 13-3/8" PF 13-1/8"
DR 14-1/2" PR 14-1/2"

Fender After Bilsteins set @ 2.1"
DF 38-5/8" PF 38-3/8"
DR 39-1/2" PR 39-1/8"

Running Boards After Bilsteins set @ 2.1"
DF 15-1/2" PF 15-1/2"
DR 15-3/4" PR 15-3/4"

Fender After Trail Grapplers 35x11.5R20
DF 39-3/4" PF 39-3/4"
DR 40-5/8" PR 40-1/8"

Running Boards After Trail Grapplers 35x11.5R20
DF 16-3/4" PF 16-3/4"
DR 17" PR 17"

Here are the pics before (no lift and stock tires) and after:

Before/After Combined:

Before Front Angle:

After Front Angle:

After Profile:

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
Good looking Ram & the tires set the look off even more

Those tire would make way to much noise for me, 70 MPH is what grannies & sightseers drive at around here

I believe Arizona, New Mexico, & i know Texas have 80 mile an hour speed limits. Texas Interstate 10 has a section of highway pavement that for some reason makes every tire sing.

As for your Rams color, you could have told us that it was Sunburst Orange Pearl, which both my 2009 & 2016 Rams are now, the 2 colors seem to be alike

·
Registered
480 Posts
That looks so much nicer.. big difference. Are those tires noisey on the highway?

·
Registered
480 Posts
by the way.. how is the ride with the tire change?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
As for your Rams color, you could have told us that it was Sunburst Orange Pearl, which both my 2009 & 2016 Rams are now, the 2 colors seem to be alike.
The colors are similar but in 2013 in was called Copperhead Pearlcoat.

As for the OP, in your info you said "Express...I think?" You think correct, it is in fact an Express! Also, I didn't know Nitto even had a 35x11.50R20, and according to their website it is also slightly shorter than the 35x12.50R20. That's odd to me that they would make both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks so much nicer.. big difference. Are those tires noisey on the highway?
Thanks! The tires start singing a bit above 70. This morning I had it up to 80+ for a couple miles and I found myself turning the radio up to compensate. Not a big enough issue to offset the look and functionality of the tires.

by the way.. how is the ride with the tire change?
The Bilsteins made the ride more composed and absorbed bumps noticeably better. My driveway is steep downhill and pulling out onto the street doesn't feel like I'm nose-diving when I meet the flat pavement anymore. The tires are "grabby" at low speeds especially when above 85 degrees, but they didn't really do much to the overall ride compared to the install of the Bilsteins.

Also, I didn't know Nitto even had a 35x11.50R20, and according to their website it is also slightly shorter than the 35x12.50R20. That's odd to me that they would make both.
I was personally uncomfortable with the use of spacers and didn't want any potential rubbing, so I was happy when I found the 1" less wider Nittos. They still give my truck the aggressive look, and will hopefully be a bit better in the snow given the narrower footprint? Great size for a truck with just a level.

Love the tires! I had those on my jeep and loved that they weren't loud on the road even at high speeds. great in the mud too.
Thanks! So far so good. I will hopefully be trying them out in the mud soon. Snake Pit in Boothwyn, PA is right by me so that is in the not-too-distant future.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The after looks way better wow

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am looking hard at the ridge grapps, but I have something I find confusing... The 285/65/20s measure 34.8x11.5, while the 35/11.5/20s measure 34.8x11.42... so .08 hundreths of an inch difference in width. First question would be why would a manufacturer make two near-exact tire sizes? Secondly and maybe more confusing, is why would the 285s weigh 63.7 lbs while the 35s weigh 71.4 lbs? Thats over 30 lbs rotating mass, and Im not sure why

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
I am looking hard at the ridge grapps, but I have something I find confusing... The 285/65/20s measure 34.8x11.5, while the 35/11.5/20s measure 34.8x11.42... so .08 hundreths of an inch difference in width. First question would be why would a manufacturer make two near-exact tire sizes? Secondly and maybe more confusing, is why would the 285s weigh 63.7 lbs while the 35s weigh 71.4 lbs? Thats over 30 lbs rotating mass, and Im not sure why
the 285 is a lighter tire because its either considered a passenger tire, or at most D-rated. the 35 is E-load-rated which means it has much more steel in the sidewalls and under the tread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts