DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some input before deciding on this setup. I've decided on lifting my '14 Big Horn with the 6 inch BDS and I'm on the fence about tire size. I bought my truck without doing my homework and come to find out I'm running 3.21 gears. I would really love to run 37s but I'm worried about putting strain on the transmission. I'm not against the 35s but I prefer the look of the 37s on the 6 inch lift. Will having the 8spd make this doable or is running this set up just not an option on the 3.21 gears?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have 35's Toyo r/t's on my 1500 2014 on the same gears. I get 15 average. Is that pretty good?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have 35 Toyo All Terrain II's with 3.21. Plenty of power. I actually like staying in 1st gear for more than 1 second.

I have no experience with 37's

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
Working in a dealership has given me many opportunities to drive 1500's with various tire and gear combinations. With 37's, anything less than 3.92 gears feels anemic to me. If it were mine, I'd want 4.56's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having the 8spd is a huge advantage. yes, 3.21 will feel more sluggish with 37's but for reference you first gear with 3.21 and 37's and 8spd is about the same as 33's(stock) tires with 4.10 and 65rfe 6spd. With the same final gear highway cruising for 75mph is 2100rpm with 33's and 4.10/6pd, 37's and 3.21/8spd is 1460ish rpm so better highway mileage too. if you upgrade 37's with 3.55, it will pretty much be identical to 33's with 3.21 for your 8spd gearing. added weight of the tires will effect too so 3.92 rear end would also be good option but could be overkill, your preference. I would not do 4.10 or 4.56 unless you had the 6spd as you would be really searching gears anytime you accelerate, but from your original thread starter i assume you have an 8spd.

If that all makes sense!:smileup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it all makes sense. I might just stick to the 35s and go with a 4 inch lift for now until I can afford the re gear to 3.92 later down the road. I just prefer the look of the 6 inch with 37s. I'm sure my 8spd could handle the 37s with 3.21 gears but I know I would be sacrificing some power. Guess it comes down to preference of cosmetic or performance and I'd like the balance of both.

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
IMHO 37s are too much for a 1/2 ton, especially with IFS. You can run 35s with just a level, but if you decide on 35s and still want a lift I'd stick with the 4". I hate to see trucks with way too much lift for the tire size they have.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
IMHO 37s are too much for a 1/2 ton, especially with IFS. You can run 35s with just a level, but if you decide on 35s and still want a lift I'd stick with the 4". I hate to see trucks with way too much lift for the tire size they have.
I would agree with this. Though I like to look at all these beautiful trucks on here running 37's, that's a lot of stress for a 1/2 ton. I wouldn't personally want it. But that's why we each mod our own trucks right?

·
Registered
392 Posts
35's with 6 speed and 3.55s was pretty horrible on the highway unless I was doing 75+ and keeping the rev's up. Around town it was fine. I couldn't imagine even 35's with a 3.21 rear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
37's with 3.21

Ive only had this setup for a few hundred miles but I can't tell what everyone is talking about. I live in an extremely hilly area and I don't notice my truck having any issues with power. It'll still burn those big ass tires off at a stop light and I smoked a Duramax the other day. Gas mileage sucks but i know that I don't own a Prius so I don't care.. Go big or go home. :) Ill be hauling some big loads of wood here in the next few weeks so ill share how that goes even if it doesn't do as well as I think it will. :4-dontknow:

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
Smoking 37's with 3.21's? How hard were you standing on the brake pedal?

·
Super Moderator
34,714 Posts
Not at all. Believe me it surprised me too after reading what everyone had to say on here. Maybe I got lucky and they put the wrong gears in and my build sheet is wrong..
It'll say for sure on the axle tag if you crawl under there

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ill do that tomorrow and find out. That would be a pleasant surprise. Hell i haven't even looked at the motor maybe they really screwed up and put in a 6.4L.:LOL: Its nice to dream.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ill do that tomorrow and find out. That would be a pleasant surprise. Hell i haven't even looked at the motor maybe they really screwed up and put in a 6.4L.:LOL: Its nice to dream.
Did you end up with something other than 3.21? Crawled under my truck to verify... Unfortunately 3.21 it is... Awesome looking truck btw!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts