DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have an 06 with the base stereo. I am looking to upgrade to a double din nav unit. I think I want to use an upgraded factory unit with a backup camera. My question is which years can I use? can I use those Gig radios from the newer trucks? I see all kinds of nice OEM head units on ebay and here for around $500. I am sure that somebody has done this I just cant find the link any where please help

Thanks

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
all recent dodge ram radios are 1.5 din, i believe that is 3" X 7"
i have not seen a double din in any stock dodge vehicles

SINGLE DIN which have face dimensions of 50mm (2 inches) tall by 180mm (7 inches) wide
the true measurement is of a standard DIN slot is 2-1/8” (50mm) height by 7-1/8” (180mm) width

DOUBLE DIN is 7"wide X 4" Tall

Being as your vehicle is an 2006, i am pretty sure that you have the LOW CANBUS SYSTEM, this Low Canbus System was used up to 2008 in the RAMS

In 2009 they went to the HIGH CANBUS SYSTEM

Here is a web page with a chart that has Low & High canbus systems by model & year
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_nav_2.htm#ABOUT
more about MYGIG radios
http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_nav_2.htm#VEHICLES

I believe that there are wiring adapters available to convert from one Canbus system to the other. someone that has made the radio change will tell you more

·
Registered
104 Posts
The radios that had the Nav were a double din unit. You may just have to purchase the stock Nav bezel to get the double din opening though. It may be cheaper or at the very least be the same price for many more features to go with an aftermarket stereo. If I were you looking to upgrade the stock stereo I would get the nav bezel to allow a double din unit and look at eith a Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine or other aftermarket double din head unit. You could get one with Nav, iPod control, bluetooth, and many more features than the stock one for less money. Just my opinion.

Victor

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
I was never a big fan of the software on the OEM nav until they swapped to the garmin. You will be able to find a nav head unit at a scrap yard for cheap, but you'll need the nav bezel. I would personally be more inclined to pick up an aftermarket nav head unit as they are simple to install, and just make sure you get one with the most up-to-date garmin software.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here's another issue you may run into, but you may not, I don't know. When you by an aftermarket head unit it will come with its own harness that plugs into the back of it that you will connect to a wiring harness that allows you to plug it into the harness that plugged into your previous head unit. I am not sure if the harness on the back of your current factory head unit would be a direct plug and play into a nav unit. If not you would have to somehow make your own.

Victor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.