DODGE RAM FORUM banner

3rd Gen factory head unit options??

9659 5
Hello I have an 06 with the base stereo. I am looking to upgrade to a double din nav unit. I think I want to use an upgraded factory unit with a backup camera. My question is which years can I use? can I use those Gig radios from the newer trucks? I see all kinds of nice OEM head units on ebay and here for around $500. I am sure that somebody has done this I just cant find the link any where please help

Thanks
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
The radios that had the Nav were a double din unit. You may just have to purchase the stock Nav bezel to get the double din opening though. It may be cheaper or at the very least be the same price for many more features to go with an aftermarket stereo. If I were you looking to upgrade the stock stereo I would get the nav bezel to allow a double din unit and look at eith a Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine or other aftermarket double din head unit. You could get one with Nav, iPod control, bluetooth, and many more features than the stock one for less money. Just my opinion.

Victor

· Registered
97 Posts
Here's another issue you may run into, but you may not, I don't know. When you by an aftermarket head unit it will come with its own harness that plugs into the back of it that you will connect to a wiring harness that allows you to plug it into the harness that plugged into your previous head unit. I am not sure if the harness on the back of your current factory head unit would be a direct plug and play into a nav unit. If not you would have to somehow make your own.

Victor

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.