DODGE RAM FORUM banner

3rd Gen? 4th Gen?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
4.5 Gen (2013/2014) I ain't gonna lie...I love the 8.4 touchscreen and all the creature features! My 2013 is light years ahead of my Grandpa's old 84 Dodge Ram...LOL!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 3rd gen but personally the 4th gens are a lot better looking. Although I still think the factory 20"s on the 3rd gens are the best looking dodge has put out on their trucks

·
Registered
708 Posts
4th gen all the way. I had my 03 for 10 years. I loved the old truck. Its just the electronics and coil spring ride blow it away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you had the choice between a 3rd Gen and a 4th Gen,what would you choose?

List reasons why.

Personally I cannot stand the look of the 3rd Gen Headlight/Bumber. Rounded nasty looking things.

Include reasons for mods too, whats easier to work with?
I have owned both and by far like the 4th Gen the best. Much tighter truck than the 3rd gen and much better gas mileage, creature comforts and styling than the third generation. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
3rd gen because I love the look (pre hideous headlights) and they are built simply and strong with main components that are easier to mod than the newer trucks (For example I'm in the middle of turning my 5.9 into a 7.0 and also tripling the strength of my transmission) and not run into computer/electronic issues getting everything playing nice. Other plus is that (in my opinion at least) its very fun pulling into a place and people ask what year your truck is and after you tell em they say it looks too nice to be that old.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I vote 4th gen, Improved interior, and ride, and hopefully less rust prone on the bed sides.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Man I can't believe this thread is still alive haha. When do 5th gens start?! I'll have to add that on here! Hahaha.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts

Man I can't believe this thread is still alive haha. When do 5th gens start?! I'll have to add that on here! Hahaha.
2017 and 2018 for the 1500s and HDs respectively.

The 3rd gens are a hell of a truck with a proven reliable track record. 4th gens are getting there but obviously haven't been around as long. Some of the dudes with 2009s and 2010s are getting up there in miles.

I like the look of the gen 3.0s over the 3.5s. I like the headlights more. If we were just talking about diesels here I'd go with 3rd gens because I like the 5.9 Cummins over the 6.7.

I'm biased though so I have to say I like the 4th gens more. They are more powerful and have a stronger rear suspension setup. Now if Ram would just put progressive coils back there with a more aggressive rate to make it stiffer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had both. Definitely the Gen 4. Much nicer truck, smooth, more power better suspension and all the new goodies to Ram, cameras, etc.

·
Registered
02 ram. 5.9
58 Posts
I'm not a fan of the headlights and grilles on the 4th gen, looks like an upside down mouth.

on 3rd gens I love the fact that I can stand/kneel on my bumper while working in the engine bay and I'm 6'2". I also like that when I look in my engine bay that's what I see, an engine not a heat trapping plastic cover with stupid shit written on it. If you are looking under my hood and don't know what you're seeing then you have no business under there period.
I like my 02 Ram it's my first one I would like to have a cowl hood or something like that I have halo headlights and they're really cool also would like to have a bed cover

21 - 40 of 40 Posts