DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a nice Hemi 2500 CC and it comes with 4.10 gears. The dealer says that's the only way he brings them in, because anything less in a Hemi and you're going to have towing issues. Do you guys think he's right, and what will that do to MPG when driving unloaded?

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
i would not let this be a deal breaker, it does increase the tow capacity a little and make it easier to plow. the little bit of mpg loss, may not be noticeable unless you like quick take offs at the stop signs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
4:10's would be the gears to go with for towing/hauling. MPG unloaded depends on the right foot on that skinny pedal. I have the 4:56 gears in mine I average 12mpg combined city/hwy. you can expect pretty close to that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4:10's would be the gears to go with for towing/hauling. MPG unloaded depends on the right foot on that skinny pedal. I have the 4:56 gears in mine I average 12mpg combined city/hwy. you can expect pretty close to that.
Hmmm, all I've heard about the PW is that it really sucks gas (albeit a very cool truck). I had a 3/4T Hemi with standard 3.73's and I got up to 17mpg HWY and about 13-14mpg City. I knew going up to a 4.10 would make a difference, I just wasn't sure how much of one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would not let this be a deal breaker, it does increase the tow capacity a little and make it easier to plow. the little bit of mpg loss, may not be noticeable unless you like quick take offs at the stop signs.
Dealer just said that for towing it's the way to go, better torque, gets you closer to that diesel feel. But since I won't be towing all that often, I didn't want to let it be that big of a deal.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If I decide to go with a new 2500, I definately want 4.10 gears. Not for towing but because I plan to run a lift and 35 inch tires.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the 4.10 gears and my MPG seems basically unaffected, perhaps a very slight decrease, but heading back from Idaho thru the mountains I averaged about 15.5mpg. More like 16 once I flattened out. That's better than my stock Silverado 2500 CC with Vortec. That was closer to 14.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm looking at a nice Hemi 2500 CC and it comes with 4.10 gears. The dealer says that's the only way he brings them in, because anything less in a Hemi and you're going to have towing issues. Do you guys think he's right, and what will that do to MPG when driving unloaded?
The dealers talking a half truth. What's missing is how heavy a trailer are you going to be towing?

You are going to take somewhat of a gas hit no doubt about it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealers talking a half truth. What's missing is how heavy a trailer are you going to be towing?

You are going to take somewhat of a gas hit no doubt about it.
I guess I agree with that for the most part. I think the dealer was just saying that in 2500's, most people buy them for HD use. For that reason he has them geared a little lower for some extra torque. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. The MPG, I'm guessing, will be worse in town but close to the same on the freeway.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Wondering: Does the modern trannys in use today buy us a little more breathing room as far as mileage and gearing maybe? I know that with my old Mopar ebody, I went from 2.76 gears to 3.54 gears and the RPMS in 3rd went up by about 1,000 rpms. That translates into about a 1-2 mpg drop in practical use from what I have seen. But that is just a lowly 727 3 speed.

With a 6 speed auto/OD, would the rear gears factor in as much these days?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Good point. You have to look at the overall drive ratio. I recently read that in the Ford SD, the final drive ratio with their 6 speed AT and 3.73 gears is actually lower in first and second than the Dodge Powerwagon and 4.56's.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Wondering: Does the modern trannys in use today buy us a little more breathing room as far as mileage and gearing maybe? I know that with my old Mopar ebody, I went from 2.76 gears to 3.54 gears and the RPMS in 3rd went up by about 1,000 rpms. That translates into about a 1-2 mpg drop in practical use from what I have seen. But that is just a lowly 727 3 speed.

With a 6 speed auto/OD, would the rear gears factor in as much these days?
Using the same axle ratio you'd have to compare the final drive ratio of the tranny. Auto makers are putting 6+ speed gear boxes in to keep the RPMs down as you accelerate. When each gear shifts sooner at a lower RPM a little fuel is saved in the process.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have 3.92 in my 11 and had them in my 08.. Hemi is still uder 2k in over drive at 75MPH. 17MPG overall. Don't let the 4.10 scare you off.. no way would I go back to 3.55 had that in my 97.. bad deal

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can tell you this, I had a 2011 cc 1500 4x4 with 3.92 gears and now I have a 2012 cc 2500 4x4 with 4.10 gears and there is not much difference in mileage. what I gained was a bigger bed, bigger brakes ect...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts