DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I've been getting prices on adding the 4.10 gears and LSD to my 12' Ram 1500. The best price I have so far is from 4wheel parts in Tampa FL. for $1800 installed. First I want to know if you guys think this is a good price? Secondly Im interested to know if anyone has had any work done here and if they were happy with the work? Thanks in advance for all the help!

·
8,070 Posts
First question.... are you 2wd or 4wd?

I'm assuming 4wd.... that being said. You aren't getting it done for $1800..... You can't change the gears in the front diff of a '12 and up Ram, you need to get a front diff from a 2011 in order to do it. Did your shop factor that in to the pricing? Typically you're looking at around $3500 to change gears on a '12 and up 4wd.

·
8,070 Posts
I am going to guess 2wd because of the price of the job. Like Brandon said, a 4wd job on a 2012 is like 3500. My guess is 1800 may be a little too high. Try shopping around some.
Ya I was thinking that at first as well but $1800 is way too high for a 2wd... I'm thinking it should be more around the $1000 mark for a 2wd. I believe Molina (username on the forum) did a gear swap in a 2wd. It would be good to find out what he paid to compare.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First question.... are you 2wd or 4wd?

I'm assuming 4wd.... that being said. You aren't getting it done for $1800..... You can't change the gears in the front diff of a '12 and up Ram, you need to get a front diff from a 2011 in order to do it. Did your shop factor that in to the pricing? Typically you're looking at around $3500 to change gears on a '12 and up 4wd.
I'm actually a 2WD jus trying for more power and better traction when pulling the boat out of the water. I'm tired of one wheeling it on the boat ramp!:LOL: I want my truck to drive like a truck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone from Florida in here know a good shop for this type of work? I've called alot of the 4wheel shops in my area and all about the same $1800 price for the 4.10 gears and LSD.

·
Registered
508 Posts
They're high compared to shop rates in my area, but not exorbitantly so. Depending on the brand of LSD around here it's closer to a 1300-1500 job.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also i'm eventually getting lift with bigger tires but do you guys think the 4.10 gears with the LSD will cause my truck to burn through gas and be too much?

·
Registered
508 Posts
4.10 will allow you to add some nice meaty pieces of rubber. but yep, you'll pay for it in the gas tank.

4.10 means you're turning more revs per mile traveled. it gets magnified depending on the overall diameter of the tires, and the tire types themselves. No getting around that particular law of physics (yet)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4.10 will allow you to add some nice meaty pieces of rubber. but yep, you'll pay for it in the gas tank.

4.10 means you're turning more revs per mile traveled. it gets magnified depending on the overall diameter of the tires, and the tire types themselves. No getting around that particular law of physics (yet)
With this being said the switch to 4.10 gears will give me more low end torque then?

·
Registered
508 Posts
By mechanical advantage, yes. Gearing is the primary difference between tow ratings. Keeping a near stock tire will also help launching

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
By mechanical advantage, yes. Gearing is the primary difference between tow ratings. Keeping a near stock tire will also help launching
So to go to the 4.10 would help quite a bit with towing and getting up to speed faster? Sorry for all the questions but messing with gears is new to me, I usually just lift em up and throw on bigger tires :LOL:. Im just going to start doing more towing and dont want the truck to have to work as hard, but I do drive on the highway now and again and dont want to kill my gas mileage. Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
508 Posts
gas mileage is the trade off.

towing ability, fast acceleration, gas mileage. you can only have 2

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you have a 2011 and up truck then you need mopar parts. There are no aftermarket parts for these rears. The LSD(part number 68053299AD) and gears(68088179AD) recently went up a lot in price. The LSD runs 600 to 800 and the gears are 500 to 700. Thats 1100 to 1500 for just those parts. Even if you are able to reuse your current bearings and seals you will still need gear oil for about 35 and gasket sealer. Labor runs from 250 to 500. I just bought the parts for my truck and going to have them installed next week for 350+. I ended up with an extra LSD that I have listed for sale in the sale section for 500. The shop that quoted you 1300 probably doesnt know what they are talking about, make sure they know you need OEM parts. From what I have read on the forums gas mileage around town may improve but highway mileage over say 65 mph may go down. So not much overall change unless you do a lot of highway driving. FYI Moes has the 3.92 gears for 399.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I wouldnt pay no more than 1000-1200 bucks. I got a quote for 900 iirc

·
Registered
221 Posts
Don't think it can be done for 900. The parts cost more than that look them up. Yeah on a 2010 with aftermarket parts but not on a ZF 2011 and up truck.

·
Registered
13,682 Posts
Where are you located? IIRC the best price I got a while back was ~$1,500 from jeeper's den in east orlando off east colonial/highway 50. I know a guy that lives a few minutes a way that does this work IIRC he said he could do it for under $1,000, I can get you in touch with him if you'd like. IIRC he's trying to start up a business doing automotive performance work. The price I got for $1500 was with the most expensive LSD on the market, so just keep that in mind. The oem LSD would save about $300.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It can be done on an older rear. The zf rear parts have nearly doubled in price in the last few weeks. The most expensive lsd is the oem part at 600 to 800 bucks. I bought the parts this week. They are here in my dining room. Click on the Moes site and look at the 4.10 gears, he is selling them for 699. Check Randys ring and pinion. The oem parts are way more expensive than aftermarket. If a shop says they can do it for 1000 then they dont know what they are talking about. Im not a mechanic but I did a lot of research before I shelled out a over grand in parts, and the prices have gone up since I ordered a few weeks ago.

http://www.onsalejeepparts.com/search.php?search_query=68088179AD&x=15&y=13

http://www.oemparts4cars.com/proddetail.php?prod=68053299AD#.UiKnmjaUTW1

1 - 20 of 23 Posts