DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am this close " " to getting something new.

I keep coming back to the Power Wagon because I love it. I also had a 1963 Power Wagon and would like to get a new one.

Problem that stops me from plunking my cash down on the PW is the 4.56 rear end.

Can any of you PW owners give a ball park on what kind of MPG you get?

I could live with about 12 to 13 hi-way, but that 4.56 may really kill the MPG.

Most of the time I would be around town driving and off road. Not too much highway.

Thank you in advance for your input

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I can't comment on experience with mpg with 4.56's, but will say that I've known many 3rd gen quad cab hemi owners that had 3.92's and they would get about 15 avg. Most of the newer hemi guys (new hemi with mds) get close to 20 hwy even with 3.92's. I'd say your numbers with 4.56's are achievable, and you probably would get even better than that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cannot find any rating.

Sounds like trucks over a certain weight or maybe GVWR do not need to show the ratings

·
Registered
81 Posts
I average 12mpg mixed city/hwy. I've done a couple of 300 mile hwy trips now and I was averaging 14/15 mpg doing 65-75 mph. I am pretty happy with those numbers since I only have 3000 miles on the truck. Get the PW it's a real sweet ride & the new six speed transmission is smooooooth!! Just a comparison in my 2010 1500 I was averaging 15 mpg mixed city/ hwy and 18 mpg on the hwy and that truck had he MDS & 3.55 gears.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I get 12 to 13 MPG back and forth on two lane roads. Have not taken a logg HWY trip yet. The EPA does require MPG rating for 3/4 ton a trucks and above. So the Long and short of it is you will get 11 to 12 in stop and go city driving. Good luck and have fun with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I get 12 to 13 MPG back and forth on two lane roads. Have not taken a logg HWY trip yet. The EPA does require MPG rating for 3/4 ton a trucks and above. So the Long and short of it is you will get 11 to 12 in stop and go city driving. Good luck and have fun with it.
Thank you

Also, could you point out where the required ratings can be found?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I'm not positive but I think that was a typo and he meant to say "doesn't".

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) is the sales weighted average fuel economy, expressed in miles per gallon (mpg), of a manufacturer’s fleet of passenger cars or light trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 8,500 lbs. or less, manufactured for sale in the United States, for any given model year.

Popular Vehicles Exempt from Federal Fuel Economy Standards Prior to 2011
Dodge RAM 2500/3500 Series
------------------------------------

Which Vehicles are Tested
Manufacturers do not test every new vehicle offered for sale. They are only required to test one representative vehicle—typically a preproduction prototype—for each combination of loaded vehicle weight class, transmission class, and basic engine.

Some vehicles are exempt from these requirements:

Motorcycles
Large vehicles prior to 2011: Vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) over 8,500 pounds, such as larger pickup trucks and SUVs
Large vehicles from 2011 onward:
Pickup trucks and cargo vans with GVWR over 8,500 pounds
Passenger vehicles, such as SUVs and passenger vans with GVWR of 10,000 or more
GVWR is the weight of the vehicle, all fluids, and its maximum carrying capacity.

·
Registered
371 Posts
my 2012 Pw , 6spd auto ,4'56 gears with 35" mudders pulls a consistent 17 mpg (imp) or 16.5 liters per 100 km, when cruising 100km/hr highway , rpm is 1650 @100km/hr , on a side note though , a recent trip to Revelstoke pulling a 21' enclosed sled trailer with 3 sleds inside and one on the truck , my avg mpg was 60 liters per 100 kms or 4.7 mpg (imp):SHOCKED:, mind you avg speed was 130-160 km/hr

·
Registered
581 Posts
I drive 30 miles round trip to work a day and get about 13 mpg. It is also mixed city/highway. I also have a lead foot and usually cruze about 75 mph on the highway. Anywho, I would also suggest it. It is a great truck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Newer PW seem to be getting better MPG than us older ones

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've got a 2010 2500 quad cab with 8ft bed. Front and rear limited slip lockers and stock 3.73 gears and 33" tires. I only get 10-13mpg. The PW is one of the best damn trucks made, get it and don't look back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I get 11 to 13 in my '08 with lock-outs & premium gas. Once in a great while, I can manage 14, but that's very rare.

I run at 4500 to 5500 ft of elevation, though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Newer PW's have better mileage in gas... But mine is an 2006 and its about 17 highway at 62 mph... i cruise it though ... I wanted something for ppl to look at and not Fly by them.. LOL

·
Registered
118 Posts
just got back from an 1,100 mile trip (2200 round trip) saturday cost me 350$ one way, driving across south dakota i got 10.5-11 mpg rapid to sioux falls. once outa SD i was getting anywhere between 14-16mpg driving at 75-80 mph the whole way

SD sucks to drive thru constant 15mph+ cross or head wind makes for crap ass gas milage. if u drive through this state gas stations are sparce only one station about every 150-200 miles

1 - 20 of 23 Posts