DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine back fires with a loss of power and smoke from exhaust. Last for 5-10 seconds. Occurs after a stretch of freeway driving at normal speeds when I exit freeway and make a hard turn. No check engine light, no codes in computer.
Dealer wants me to throw parts at it hoping something will fix the problem.
Fuel quality not an issue. Oil consumption seems to fluctuate. I always have to add a quart between changes. Dealer says that is with in the specs.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I would check the plugs and wires Change them if needed. Could be a bad coil too. Other then that not a clue.
What color smoke?
Mick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smoke has varied from grey/brown to blue. Pretty embarrassing to have someone trailing you and a relatively late model truck sends out a cloud like a mosquito fogger. Problem has occurred at the same intersection several times after the same driving scenario. I've given this info to the dealer but they still haven't a clue. Last time in to the dealer they wanted to change all the plugs, coils, and drop the fuel tank to "check" the fuel pump. All to the tune of $3000 dollars. I said no way unless you have a definite reason to pin point these items. I've got a case going with Chrysler customer service, but they've been of no help,so far.
Next step is to send off a report to the NHTSB. I feel that this needs to be addressed by a higher authority.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The fact that you have smoke out the exhaust would tell me that something isn't sealing the way it should. It could be head gasket or piston rings that are starting to go bad. You could check the plugs to see if they are fouled up and/or do a compression test in each cylinder to verify this.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Compression won't show a bad valve stem seal...

To the OP, next time you get off the freeway, decelerate using the gears, see if the smoke is worse.

This is a rough guide for smoking engines;

Constant blue smoke= rings, pistons, head gasket
Blue smoke on decel= usually valve guides/stem seals
white smoke= water
black (gas engine)= excess fuel/improper combustion

I've had engines that do some of each of that...

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Loss of power and backfire can sometimes be an indicator of a bad cat. Have a good muffler shop check the operation of the cat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All good points, but look at the symptoms. The truck drives fine 95 per cent of the time and the on-board computer records no codes.The problem arises when I have made a relatively long freeway run and have exited the freeway.
Of the dozen or so episodes, five have occurred at the exact same locations (making a hard left or right turn at the end of the freeway ramp). I've explained this to the dealer and chrysler customer service until I'm blue in the face, but it seems that if the computer doesn't record something, they're at a loss.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am not agreeing with the dealer but diagnosing those problems was my exact job for 13 years for a dealer , and the bad part is that the computer will not show codes, the computer will show a code almost all the time when the coil pack misfires, it is monitored,, but getting it to show up is really frustrating to the tech also, they mostly WANT it fixed, it looks bad on them also... there is an attachment that we use to put on the trucks when they were having a driveability problem called a snapshot, it records a 5 minute movie of data before and after the problem, we had a hand held button that you pressed when the problem happened, so it showed before and after to compare the parameters,
After all you have been through,your next step to me, is to get the factory rep (NOT SERVICE MANAGER) involved,make an (appointment) with him, he comes to the dealership at different times, and tell him all what it has done, better yet write it down and present it to him, he is the one that is allowed to ok any repair on that truck, warranty or not, TRUST me , I know...
You will most likely have him with you on the test drive, do EXACTLY like you have done before when it acted up, get it to back fire with him in there, they can not dispute it any longer, code or not...
I know that the 3.7 and 4.7 use to have a falling rocker arm which made a back fire with smoke, it was pretty common, but that was in 07....
hope this helps a little, good luck and keep us posted...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's the next step. My friend had a monitor installed on his Ford to record an elusive problem. I've approached the case manager with same idea. Haven't heard back yet. In the meantime the truck had another episode, with my cousin on board. Same scenario. A 30-40 mile freeway run with a hard left turn at the freeway exit. Occurred at the EXACT SAME SPOT as the previous 4 or 5 mishaps. In fact, when we exited the freeway, I told my cousin to pay attention to the truck. And true to form, it acted up. Kind of freaky that I can predict an occurrence.

·
Registered
198 Posts
To the OP...Did you ever figure this out?

I have had the exact same thing happen to me 2 or 3 times over the past 2 years or so. 2009 with the 4.7. 30-40 minutes at freeway speed. Exit off the freeway, make a right turn no problem. After a few hundred feet make a left turn and loss of power, backfire, puff of smoke out the exhaust. After that happens it runs fine. No other signs or symptoms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All these people with the same problem now years later I have the same truck with the same problem and this looks like it was never solved on here? Anyone have any ideas. I mean the exact same problem and exact same year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi......i just came across this......i got 2009...4.7 flex fuel....same EXACT thing...same EXACT trip 3 times in 3 months...flat long stretch....rpm steady @ 1500...20 or so miles...get off exit for light...turns green...give it gas...sputter like it runnin on 4 cylinders...pouring out blue and white smoke....coughs a few times then it goes away....did you guys figure this out??

·
Registered
6 Posts
All these people with the same problem now years later I have the same truck with the same problem and this looks like it was never solved on here? Anyone have any ideas. I mean the exact same problem and exact same year.
figure it out?......i got 2009 4.7 flex fuel....same EXACT THING....same flat highway trip...truck must not like the county im in..lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Smoke has varied from grey/brown to blue. Pretty embarrassing to have someone trailing you and a relatively late model truck sends out a cloud like a mosquito fogger. Problem has occurred at the same intersection several times after the same driving scenario. I've given this info to the dealer but they still haven't a clue. Last time in to the dealer they wanted to change all the plugs, coils, and drop the fuel tank to "check" the fuel pump. All to the tune of $3000 dollars. I said no way unless you have a definite reason to pin point these items. I've got a case going with Chrysler customer service, but they've been of no help,so far.
Next step is to send off a report to the NHTSB. I feel that this needs to be addressed by a higher authority.
figure it out?......i got 2009 4.7 flex fuel....same EXACT THING....same flat highway trip...truck must not like the county im in..lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
For sure check your spark plugs, mine did that just after I bought my truck used, replaced all 16 and problem solved, also check your MAP sensor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts