DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the truck in November, it now has 99,100 miles on it. I've tried different oil, Valvoline Syntech, Royal Purple with a Wix filter. It dry starts every time if its sat longer than 20-30 minutes if that and then the constant tick and on really cold nights it will have loud lower engine knocking also that will only go away once you start driving it. I let it idle for ~5 minutes and it was still doing it but about 15-30 seconds after taking off with it she will stop knocking. Its driving me insane because I just bought the thing and had no issues or noises when I purchased it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's very likely the "constant" tick you hear is a leaking exhaust manifold with broken studs or slightly loud lifters (often confused with each other). As for the lower engine noise. I hope for your sake it isn't a tired engine! Does the lower engine noise go completely away once driving? For example, you drive 10 miles. Leave the truck at idle. Is it still there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It goes away after driving. Last night it stuck a little longer but it was also in the 30's last night when I drove home. I'm currently using Royal Purple 5-20 with a wix oil filter.

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
If its really knocking then using different oil isn't going to do anything. If it goes away when warm it isn't knocking. I agree with checking the manifolds

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even though it sounds like its in the lower engine? and all the manifold bolts seem to be present. a little rusty but thats it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 09 4.7 liter ram had similar problem. I had the extended warranty and dealer tore down engine, to find that the wrist pin on #7 cylinder was worn creating noise. I had always run synthetic oil and changed regularly, so I would not have expected that. Now I got a new 4.7 long block. Hope you do not have a similar problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts