DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2013 used about a year ago, not knowing when the plugs and wire were last changed I decided to replace them.

I read a few threads on this forum regarding stock plugs being either Champion or NGK. I decided to go with NGK LZFR5C-11 which are copper and gaped at 0.044” for the Intake (upper 8 under the coils). I’m not sure if the HEMI guys have this problem or not but standard sockets will NOT fit, you need an extra thin wall socket. I ended up ordering item 2380 from CTA tools (link below). FYI the plugs I pulled were Bosh.

The Exhaust plugs (8 lower near bottom of the valve covers) are Iridium and are supposed to be good for 100K miles so I did not change them. I will also swap them out to NGKs later.

It is also recommended that you blow off the motor and concentrate on the area around the coil packs as there are many places for dirt and debris to sit and fall into the cylinders. My plug #7 was very ashy so I’m assuming the previous owner did not do this. He also broke several clips off the main harness that mate to the coils so for now I have zip ties holding the connectors together while I wait for replacement parts to ship.

I also cleaned the MAF (mass air flow sensor) and throttle body while I had everything apart. I noticed a big increase in responsiveness and MPG.

I hope this helps someone in the future.

Jim

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/cta-tools-2380-5-8-spark-plug-socket-10-long/

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Thanks for the how to!

I just use a spark plug socket so I guess that's a thin wall. I've never noticed a problem trying to change plugs

1 - 2 of 2 Posts