DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I figured the performance section would have the most knowledge. I have a 2004 truck with the 4.7, after the infamous head gasket failure I just got the engine back together with new pistons, heads re-worked, etc. and am ready to put the accessories on and fire it up. I already searched for over an hour to find out which way to clock the "jiggle" valve on the thermostat. I don't remember how the factory one was orientated. The new one does have the rubber tab that indicates it in the housing but the valve it at approx 1:30. I've read where it should be 12:00, 6:00 and other locations. I believe you can spin the gasket with the rubber tab and indicate it wherever you want. I know how to bleed the system but I also know how easy these overheat. Any ideas about how to position the thermostat? Or does it really matter this much? I just want to make sure since I have more money in this than the truck is prob worth, ha. Thanks.

·
Registered
2002 Ram 1500 4x4, 4.7L
17 Posts
I installed mine with Tab A in Slot B... never really gave it another thought.
Drove about 40 miles the day after and 200 this morning with no overheating issues.

Basically, I installed it as it came out of the box and so far, so good.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Normal installation for a thermostat is the big end (spring and plunger) go to hottest part of water flow. So my Durango with 4.7 is a reverse flow and thermostat is on lower hose area. If it is up top it goes towards engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the replies. It's been a month or so since I put this 4.7 back together. I put a new fail safe thermostat in from Autozone and it's been fine, I did bleed the air out though.. Put in original position..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts