DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello All,
First off- thank you for all your help with answering my questions, I know their are a lost of post, but i really want to know everything i will need to do
second a little history about my bad luck-
I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 4.7 right now, after changing the spark plugs the wonderful head gaskets busted, thought i fixed them and now the truck is still pissing out coolant in more than one place, I'm really ready and thinking hard to keep putting money into the motor or just replace it with a hemi.
third- What would i need besides the Hemi motor, also if possible what is the best way to go in and finding the parts? from doing research i can see a 2003 will sync with my motor mounts and my transmission,
can i please get a list of what else i should look for or would a 2004 hemi motor work better with all the connects? lastly my dodge is eating up coolant left and right, i just filled it up 2 days ago and its already gone, i don't drive more than 15 miles a day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i believe you will need a NEW PCM and a new harness. not sure on the mounts but if they use the same tranny in the 4.7 that they do in the hemis then i dont think there would be an issue not sure.

i'd actually go look at a hemi and take notes pic and see if and what the difference is between the two

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
If it's just a head gasket failure, I think I'd try to get that fixed then sell the truck. You can buy a used 03-05 Ram with hemi pretty cheap. I know guys have repowered v6 cars with hemis, but it was a heck of a job.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If it's just a head gasket failure, I think I'd try to get that fixed then sell the truck. You can buy a used 03-05 Ram with hemi pretty cheap. I know guys have repowered v6 cars with hemis, but it was a heck of a job.

Unfortunately, hydrex is right. It is really not cost effective. I considered it heavily when I replaced my 4.7.
It is very tempting, but honestly, the price of a used hemi powered truck s the parts you need to swap them and the time.labor involved. Not to mention the almost certain amount of "hiccups" that will impede you from a perfect transition into a hemi powered truck...

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
It's a costly job. The transmission is physically the same, but I'm not sure that the pcm will cooperate. I know there are some differences between the transmissions(software, torque converter, etc). It'd be pretty easy physically, but the pcm, harness, tuning would be a royal PITA and expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts