DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I have done some searching around the forum and read a hand full of threads and I dont want to be asking the obvious but Im going to anyway. I have a 2012 4.7 w/ a 65RFE, I just wanted to know your guys opinion on what tuner is the best bang for your buck, I'm not looking to make my truck into anything crazy but being able to stretch a little more power out of it wouldnt be bad, especially when I tow but all in all the truck does what I need it to do, so for the guys out there who have or have had tuners for 4th gen Rams with the 4.7 what tuners do you think are worth it? Anyway, hope you guys are having a good labor day, thanks for any input.

- Jake

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I would get a Diablo tuner and a Sonnax line pressure booster. First talk to Sean Powell (hemifever tuning). He is the the guru, tell him what you are looking for. I'll bet if you are willing to run 93 octane, a colder thermostat and maybe free up the air intake, he can make you happy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would get a Diablo tuner and a Sonnax line pressure booster. First talk to Sean Powell (hemifever tuning). He is the the guru, tell him what you are looking for. I'll bet if you are willing to run 93 octane, a colder thermostat and maybe free up the air intake, he can make you happy.

Just curious but mine is and 07 with a 4.7 flex fuel.Would the same tuner still work or do you think that same guy would be of help?

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
A tuner is definitely the best bang for the buck in terms of power/performance. For the 2008 and newer 4.7L, it's even better. This is probably the best gas engine out there to use a tuner on, as most companies provide 50+ lb ft of torque gains. I have used diablo, superchips, and a mail order tune from I believe hemifever (been a while, but I believe that's who it was through). I ended up going back to superchips. The diablo was good, and the hemifever was very good, but I really like the tow tune on the superchips along with the performance tunes. I used to want my truck to be a race car but I also towed and hauled and travelled with it, so a strickly performance tune wasn't going to work out well for me. I will say that the hemifever tune seemed to have slightly more off the line grunt than the superchips tune, but overall I'd say they are about equal. Now-a-days, I use my truck pretty much exclusively for travelling and towing/hauling, sometimes to and from work, but I would buy the superchips time and time again, it makes it feel like you went from a v6 to a v8.

I only had my truck stock tuned for about 2 weeks when I got it, and it seemed like I had pretty good mpg, but typically I get about 16-18 in town (conditions really matter there), and easy 20+ on the highway. I can get as good as 22mpg straight highway if I keep it under 75.

Hope this helps.

Also, just for comparison, my 2010 4.7L with superchips (on tow tune with 87 octane, and yes I know it says not to use that combo), a drop in airaid dry filter, and an exhaust (no cats, all mandrel bent, 2 to 1 magnaflow 24" I think muffler with stock tailpipe), is a little faster than a stock 3rd gen hemi of equal truck (quad cab, 2wd, etc). My buddy had one and he was pretty pissed that the 4.7 was faster than the hemi lol.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
I buy wherever is cheapest for gadgets like that. Often amazon and if prime 2 day shipping :)

Flashpaq is what I have. You can get he fancy touch screen pretty one, but basically it's the same. Same tunes (performance), and I believe same features overall, just a little cleaner to use. But, I haven't touched mine in probably 2 years...set it on tow tune and drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel Economy 4.7L

This might be the wrong thread to post in , please forgive me if I'm posting in wrong place. My 2005 4.7L has never gotten more than 15mpg. This is pretty much in all conditions...I thinks I shold be able to get at least 20mpg on the highway. Can anyone suggest a tuner for this? I don't really care about more power or torque.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
I don't think you'll ever get that mpg with the older 4.7L. 17mpg might be about as good as it gets. A tuner might help slightly, but not 33% better.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
snrusnak Why do you chose Super chip over Diablo? I am in the market and would like the input.
I have used superchips and diablo, and prefer the superchips. That said, you really can't tell the difference. I have had superchips for a long time, and decided to try diablo with the mail order "custom" tuning from I think his name is also Sean or maybe it's Shawn. I forget his company, but he's good to work with. The mail order custom tuning was good, I couldn't tell a difference between it and the superchips tuning. The canned diablo tunes I felt were slightly worse than the superchips, but that could have been in my head, who knows.

Bottom line is, being I couldn't really tell any difference I chose to go back to superchips mainly because they have more transmission tuning and the tow tune. A while back I got sick of always changing tuning (takes about 15 minutes...) when hauling/towing so I started just leaving it on the tow tune. I monitored my timing and knock sensors for a while and on 87 octane (supposed to use 91 on tow tune) I'd never have issues unless under heavy load like hauling weight. So I just fill up with 87 now on the tow tune, then if I tow/haul I fill up with 93.

I haven't changed the tuning on my truck in probably 4 years and I have almost 150k miles and no issues. I don't always baby the truck, I get on it now and again, will turn the tires over from time to time, but I don't beat it. I have fun but try not to do anything really damaging to the truck.

An added bonus to having the superchips (not sure if diablo has this option) is my TPMS batteries started dying recently, two tires in about a month period, and my dash was chiming at me obnoxiously every few minutes like a seat belt chime. With the superchips you can disable the TPMS (rather than spending ~$150 to change out my sensors. Next time I get new tires I'll buy new sensors (~$50) but that won't probably be for another 30k miles.

Note that you do have to purchase the advanced transmission tuning for certain features. I don't remember the cost, maybe $75 or $100 I don't recall... It is nice, you can fully customize your shift schedules and some more but honestly I just use the SC settings, so while it's nice to have, it's time consuming and I just had higher priorities.

Hope this helps.

Also, I will say that if you have a 2008+ 4.7L, you don't know what you're missing with a tuner. Tuners are good for all vehicles, typically, but for some reason on this engine they add tremendous power. I think the 93 tune on the superchips adds like 65 lbft of torque (and at lower than peak rpm), pretty crazy. You'd normally have to do cams and more for that power. And it only takes 15 minutes and a couple hundred bucks with the tuner.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Specifically which Superchips product gave you that performance??? Their website says no product is available for a 2012 4.7L Ram.

·
Registered
3 Posts
snrusnak, what do you usually tow? I have a 2010 with the 4.7 and towing a bass boat the thing just feels gutless. Also when towing in hilly areas my tranny temps hit over 210 degrees (i have the 6 speed), and im sure we all know dodge and transmission shouldnt be in the same sentence :p .

Did the tuner help with the temps at all? Does it feel like it has more power?

I plan on getting another tranny cooler, but im not sure on what kind or what size to get. If a tuner will make a big difference ill put that on my list as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
i dont tow very often, but I have a 12ft (if i remember correctly) enclosed trailer. It's only about 1500 empty, but the truck pulls it fine. Compared to my brothers 3rd gen hemi, my truck has less low end grunt, but it pulls just fine at 70mph. will down shift occasionally but im on the gulf coast, pretty flat. I've towed the trialer full of motorcycles and gear up to arkansas, TN, and VA multiple times and the trans temps rise a bit, and it downshifts more often, but never a big issue. The only time the trans temps scared me is when I was towing in the mountains with a high stall torque converter. I took that converter out and went back to stock right after.

The weight isnt the issue, its the wind resistance. I've towed an open trailer with a full size truck and more on it, I estimated about 6500 lbs, and it pulled noticeably better than the 1500 lb enclosed trailer.

The trans is pretty good on these trucks, doesnt have the issue that dodge's repuation has, from the 2nd gen trucks.

The tuner is ridiculously better, I think it adds something like 60lb ft of torque at low rpm. By far the best money you can spend on the later 4.7L.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used superchips and diablo, and prefer the superchips. That said, you really can't tell the difference. I have had superchips for a long time, and decided to try diablo with the mail order "custom" tuning from I think his name is also Sean or maybe it's Shawn. I forget his company, but he's good to work with. The mail order custom tuning was good, I couldn't tell a difference between it and the superchips tuning. The canned diablo tunes I felt were slightly worse than the superchips, but that could have been in my head, who knows.

Bottom line is, being I couldn't really tell any difference I chose to go back to superchips mainly because they have more transmission tuning and the tow tune. A while back I got sick of always changing tuning (takes about 15 minutes...) when hauling/towing so I started just leaving it on the tow tune. I monitored my timing and knock sensors for a while and on 87 octane (supposed to use 91 on tow tune) I'd never have issues unless under heavy load like hauling weight. So I just fill up with 87 now on the tow tune, then if I tow/haul I fill up with 93.

I haven't changed the tuning on my truck in probably 4 years and I have almost 150k miles and no issues. I don't always baby the truck, I get on it now and again, will turn the tires over from time to time, but I don't beat it. I have fun but try not to do anything really damaging to the truck.

An added bonus to having the superchips (not sure if diablo has this option) is my TPMS batteries started dying recently, two tires in about a month period, and my dash was chiming at me obnoxiously every few minutes like a seat belt chime. With the superchips you can disable the TPMS (rather than spending ~$150 to change out my sensors. Next time I get new tires I'll buy new sensors (~$50) but that won't probably be for another 30k miles.

Note that you do have to purchase the advanced transmission tuning for certain features. I don't remember the cost, maybe $75 or $100 I don't recall... It is nice, you can fully customize your shift schedules and some more but honestly I just use the SC settings, so while it's nice to have, it's time consuming and I just had higher priorities.

Hope this helps.

Also, I will say that if you have a 2008+ 4.7L, you don't know what you're missing with a tuner. Tuners are good for all vehicles, typically, but for some reason on this engine they add tremendous power. I think the 93 tune on the superchips adds like 65 lbft of torque (and at lower than peak rpm), pretty crazy. You'd normally have to do cams and more for that power. And it only takes 15 minutes and a couple hundred bucks with the tuner.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hope this helps.

hey i have a lifted single cab 2008 4.7 just wanted a little more power since i got bigger tires i was wondering what time to use don't need nothing fancy just a little more power

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
4 year old thread, but that's ok lol...

I tried the diablo (both canned tunes and a custom mail order tune) and the superchips on my 4.7L when I had it. Mine was a 2010 (same generation as your 2008). I liked the superchips best, it seemed to give the most low end torque increase. I tried all the different tunes (performance 93 octane, 91 octane, tow, etc) and ended up liking the tow tune the best. They recommend higher octane fuel but I found by monitoring spark knock that (at least for my conditions and my truck) I could run 87 octane as long as I didn't have a load on the truck. Keep in mind I lived in Florida and then on the Gulf Coast where it's completely flat, and my truck was not lifted, didn't have oversized tires, etc. It may be different if lifted, big tires, drive on steep hills often, etc. If I had another late model 4.7L I'd get another superchips.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts