DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
I will be doing an upgrade soon so I will be following this close.. I am looking at the dual setup from flow master but that come out the back at 45Degree angles not straight out.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I prefer the straight out. I just want to see if anyone has done it and how they like it ad how it sounds.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Havent done the Duals, just got rid of the battleship sized muffler that was in there. These engines sound really sweet when you open them up

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
They do sound great with a goo muffler, I would pick out a good single inlet / dual outlet muffer and have a shop build the tips out the back however you want! The sky is the limit! I vote for Magnaflow mufflers, great sound, quality and performance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I went with the Gibson Supertruck exhaust and love it, its got a really angry rumble to it idling and when you step on it, it just sounds like a straight up muscle car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got a Magnaflow 1 in 2 out on my 4.7. I had a flow master on my 97 5.2 and it was aggressive but the muffler rusted and sounded "cheap" to me. The magnaflow is nice and deep and can hear from a goo ways away. it hasn't had any problems and i get comments on it all the time, couldn't be happier! :smileup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got a Magnaflow 1 in 2 out on my 4.7. I had a flow master on my 97 5.2 and it was aggressive but the muffler rusted and sounded "cheap" to me. The magnaflow is nice and deep and can hear from a goo ways away. it hasn't had any problems and i get comments on it all the time, couldn't be happier! :smileup:
i did the same with my truck, came straight out the back.;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dynomax Si/Do SS muffler. Pretty much just ripped out the stock muffler and stuck this one under there with some turn downs. Wasnt looking for any performance gains. Just wanted some good sound. This did it! :smileup:

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
i cut the stock muffler off and just had cats...it sounded good but needed something so i welded on a cherry bomb extreme muffler and it sounds amazing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
best of these for performance?

These are all good info. I'm looking to do the same and drop the stock muffler for performance and sound. Of the two performance/flow is more important than sound. I'm hoping I can squeeze out one more mpg :) I've already got a CAI. Which of the mufflers listed so far or otherwise would be best for me?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's mine. I just threw this together this weekend. I had an idea of what I wanted, but was trying to see how cheap it could be done. I'll add a tip to bring it out closer to the outside of the truck, and may have to tweak the tip up a little. Then eventually I'll end up swapping on a borla xr1 in place of the dynomax. For $50 I'm happy!

http://youtu.be/97xHYEvaHC8

·
Banned
2,552 Posts
Sounds good.

On drilling out the spot welded clamps,nothing wrong with that,i definitely approve,but i still had a giggle over it,lol:smileup:

·
Registered
631 Posts
I had the stock muffler replaced with a flow master 40 and cut the tip off just past the resonator. I love how it sounds and it cost 150 or 170 not exactly sure.
Mick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds good.

On drilling out the spot welded clamps,nothing wrong with that,i definitely approve,but i still had a giggle over it,lol:smileup:
It's really not so much that I'm cheap, It was more the hassle of dealing with autozone and my wife asking why I had to go to the parts store if I was just "looking at the exhaust".... :LOL:

After driving it for a couple of days, it might be a little louder than I want. I'm hoping just running the tailpipe to the outside of the truck mellows it down. You can see in the pics, it dumps pretty much right at the frame rail, so I might be getting a little more sound back into the cab than I would like.

·
Banned
2,552 Posts
Buying decent quality Torque Tite clamps will lighten your wallet a good bit.
I was tempted to do the same thing as you did,but then got stupid and bought the high dollar clamps.
Only reason being my stock exhaust was still brand new,(only had the drive home from the dealer on it),so i wanted to keep the orginal exhaust as just a bolt-on for down the road,if i ever need it again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts