DODGE RAM FORUM banner

4 wheel drive question

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Moparite 
#1 ·
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT

First time ever owning a four wheel drive
Having a little trouble with the four wheel drive on my Ram..when I go to put it into 4 wheel drive it acts like it wants to engage but quickly disengages..was told by a coworker that also has a 2nd generation Ram that it’s not the transfer case but where the 4 wheel drive shifter comes out under the floorboards there’s a sleeve or something like that that it keeps slipping out of and causes the 4 wheel to disengage as quickly as it engages.. any help would be greatly appreciated with winter coming

#6 ·
It's on the top passenger side of the axle.

The vacuum motor has two line coming off of it and run below the axle(if memory serves me) This is where you need to check the vacuum. Pull off the connector and put you finger on the ports. One is for 2WD and the other is for 4WD. Check the vac for both! You will feel the vac pull on your finger tip. IF it's weak or not there you need to look at the vac lines going to it(the metal ones along the frame also).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.