DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past winter I was driving in 4 Wheel Drive Locked mode. When I applied the brakes the vehicle went into 2 Wheel Drive Mode. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
The actual 4wd selector/indicator on the dash changed from 4wd lock to 2wd by itself?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The actual 4wd selector/indicator on the dash changed from 4wd lock to 2wd by itself?

I do not know if the indicator changed or not. I was concerned about being able to stop so I shifted to neutral to remove the push from the rear wheels while the front wheels were in anti-lock mode. My initial brake application was very light.

·
3,247 Posts
I do not know if the indicator changed or not. I was concerned about being able to stop so I shifted to neutral to remove the push from the rear wheels while the front wheels were in anti-lock mode. My initial brake application was very light.
What trim level Ram do you have and do you have the 4Auto feature? There's a technical reason why I am asking that question.....

·
3,247 Posts
OK - then as you have discovered, our trucks are not actually in 4wd all of the time unless the front wheels detect slippage. This holds true regardless of selecting 4wd Auto or Lock. Some say that this is not the case when in 4wd low, but believe it is the case as well. I'm no expert on this subject, I just accept the 4wd system for what it is. Since we have the 4Auto feature, that means we have the Borg Warner 44-44 transfer case. In my 2015 Express that did not have the 4Auto feature, I had the Borg Warner 44-45 transfer case which was truly in 4wd when you selected it. I'm not knocking our system, I just accept if for what it is and how it operates.

I would recommend reading thru this thread linked below. It will give you some good insight as to how the BW 44-44 operates. :smileup: Even though this topic is about a "kit" for our system, it also provides the specifics about how it operates. You could also hit up YouTube and search "Borg Warner 44-44" for some good info.

https://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=215799

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK - then as you have discovered, our trucks are not actually in 4wd all of the time unless the front wheels detect slippage. This holds true regardless of selecting 4wd Auto or Lock. Some say that this is not the case when in 4wd low, but believe it is the case as well. I'm no expert on this subject, I just accept the 4wd system for what it is. Since we have the 4Auto feature, that means we have the Borg Warner 44-44 transfer case. In my 2015 Express that did not have the 4Auto feature, I had the Borg Warner 44-45 transfer case which was truly in 4wd when you selected it. I'm not knocking our system, I just accept if for what it is and how it operates.

I would recommend reading thru this thread linked below. It will give you some good insight as to how the BW 44-44 operates. :smileup: Even though this topic is about a "kit" for our system, it also provides the specifics about how it operates. You could also hit up YouTube and search "Borg Warner 44-44" for some good info.

https://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=215799

Thank you TruBlu. I will do some research on the BW 44-44 system.

My lease was up on the 2016 so a week ago I leased another Big Horn with the same system, a 2019. I told the salesman what had happened and he thought it was a problem with the truck.

·
3,247 Posts
Ohhh, so wait, this is on a 2019? If so, it's not the BW 44-44. I assumed since this was in the 2016 forum that you were talking about a 2016 Big Horn. My apologies, but the 2019 has a different transfer case. It may operate the same as the previous generation did, but I can't say for sure. I haven't read up on the 2019's to that extent yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ohhh, so wait, this is on a 2019? If so, it's not the BW 44-44. I assumed since this was in the 2016 forum that you were talking about a 2016 Big Horn. My apologies, but the 2019 has a different transfer case. It may operate the same as the previous generation did, but I can't say for sure. I haven't read up on the 2019's to that extent yet.

No need to apologize, TruBlu as I the problem I experienced was the 2016 and I was wondering if what I experienced was my truck only or if it was the way that TC operated. My salesman for the 2019 this it was unique to my truck.

I am currently researching the TC for the 2019 Big Horn but haven't found anything conclusive yet.

Thank you for your input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts